Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20603 Discussions

Intel HD Graphics 4600 driver causes Windows 10 Paint 3D app to crash

TP
Beginner

Hi,

I have recently installed Windows 10 on my laptop where Paint 3D app constantly crashes after launch. After long days of testing and figuring it out what has been causing the problem, I found out, that it is graphics driver's fault. Paint 3D works fine before installing the driver. When the driver is installed, the program crashes. After uninstalling the driver, Paint 3D works fine again.

On my laptop, I only have fully updated windows 10 and drivers. No additional programs yet. But I am going to use multiple 3D and graphics programs (Autodesk programs, Adobe programs, …) so I am worried, that this may cause more problems later on.

System Info

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro(10.0.17134 Build 17134)

Physical Memory (Installed): 12 GB

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4710HQ CPU @ 2.50GHz

System Type: x64-based PC

Display Info

Display Adapter(s):

Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 20.19.15.4549

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 850M 10.18.13.5946

System Manufacturer: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.

Model: N551JK

I have looked for similar problems, but could not find any. I have also tried to manually install the driver, and to change settings in graphics properties (3D). But nothing helps. Now I am turning to you because I am losing my mind over here. Are there any specific settings that have to be changed in graphics properties? I would really want to solve this before I install all of my programs.

Greetings,

Tanja

0 Kudos
13 Replies
AlHill
Super User

You need to use the drivers provided by asustek, as they may have modified/customized the drivers for their device. Using the generic Intel driver may cause problems or a lack of functionality.

This is especially the case since you have dual graphics.

Go to Asustek, and use their drivers.

Doc

0 Kudos
TP
Beginner

No graphics drivers are provided for my laptop model by Asus online support. I used drivers provided by Asus that came along with my laptop (on CD) but are only for Windows 8.1 and under. So I have tried to install drivers from CD and Paint 3D is still not working.

I figured that if I disable Intel HD Graphics 4600 in Device manager, then open Paint 3D and leave it open as I enable the device back on, the Paint 3D works fine. If I close it and reopen it, it crashes like before. I got very hopeful and tried to install several versions of Intel graphics drivers that I found on the internet, but as you guessed it - still no success.

Now I am looking into options for disabling Intel and switching to Nvidia. I am not sure what this would mean for furthermore laptop performance.

Any other ideas?

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Run this and attach the results

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility Download Intel® System Support Utility for Windows*

Also, explain how you have 12gb of memory. How many dimm slots do you have, and what memory do you have in each slot?

Doc

0 Kudos
TP
Beginner

Current results.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Something is not quite correct here.

First, N551JK is part of the bios name, it is not the model of your system.

Second, remove the 4gb dimm and re-run your test.

Have you contacted asustek about support, particularly the bios and graphic driver? If not, you should.

Doc

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

"I got very hopeful and tried to install several versions of Intel graphics drivers that I found on the internet"

You should only get drivers from asustek or intel.

The HD 4600 driver from intel is here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/81496 Downloads for Intel® HD Graphics 4600

Still, I believe you need to contact asustek and ask them for the PROPER model number for your laptop, and where the drivers are.

Doc

0 Kudos
TP
Beginner

I bought this laptop 3 years ago with 12gb ram. Here is the model: https://www.asus.com/Laptops/N551JK/ N551JK | Laptops | ASUS Global

I am not sure how this could not be the correct system model. Why would removing 4gb DIMM be helpful?

I tried with Intel and Asus drivers first, since that did not work, I tried other versions. Not the other way around. I will contact Asus directly.

Thank you for your help.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

very pretty website.

You could have a memory problem.

Where did you get the ASUSTEK DRIVERS?

DID YOU CONTACT ASUSTEK SUPPORT?

Doc

0 Kudos
TP
Beginner

Drivers were installed by Windows 10 automatically. I additionally installed all drivers from Asus online support for Windows 10 (do not include graphics drivers). And from a CD I got with this laptop as mentioned earlier.

I have contacted Asus team and now I am waiting for a response.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

But, you said "No graphics drivers are provided for my laptop model by Asus online support"

Wait for ASUS to respond. There are way too many variables here.

Doc

0 Kudos
TP
Beginner

They are not provided ONLINE. Only 4 other drivers but not graphics drivers. Not even for Windows 8.1 (but I have these on CD). I hope it is clear enough.

Yes, I will wait.

0 Kudos
TP
Beginner

I got a response from Asus. Basically, they said to check the drivers on their site and provided the link. That was not much of a help. But I was trying more stuff and finally found out the right solution. So here are my steps, if anyone would need them:

- update BIOS (I do not think, that this was helping, but still, I did this)

- uninstall all Intel graphics drivers (from Device Manager and Apps & features list), delete all temp files and disconnect from the internet, restart the computer

- after this, I switched to Nvidia graphics.

That worked fine, but I could not accept this as my final solution. So I reinstalled Intel driver originally for Windows 8.1 (for my laptop model) and played with Nvidia settings. Nothing worked, so as my final try I CLEAN installed the latest Nvidia driver version. And this solved the problem. I also updated Intel driver to the latest version and Paint 3D is still working.

I am relieved that after weeks of trying it finally paid off.

I would like to say thank you for all of your help, you tried to help me (not like Asus that did not).

Greetings,

Tanja
0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Glad you have it working.

Doc

0 Kudos