Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

HD graphics 530 pixelation and screen teating within Windows 10 Home (April creators update) Ver. 1803

BJurg
Beginner

I had issues before the Windows 10 April creators update. I had loaded the driver for HD Graphics 530 driver version 24.20.100.6025 with the Windows 10 Home (version 1709). When the Windows 10 Home April creators update came out, I had to roll back to HD Graphics 530 driver version 15.65.5.4982. This is because 24.20.100.6025 was causing my screen to freeze for 2-5 seconds.

Now, after the April creators update, several graphical screen have random pixilation (which sometimes goes away after a couple of seconds), but many Microsoft games and Google Earth have both pixilation and screen tearing. This image attached really (a screen capture) really does not show the tearing (just a little in the upper left-hand corner), but when playing a game it occurs all over the screen (like flashes of light streaks, they go on and off). Even the pixilation will flash and move about.

0 Kudos
31 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Uncle_Bern,

I understand that you are currently experiencing pixalation and screen tearing after updating the Windows* 10.

Regarding this, To better assist you with your request, I will need to check some information about your computer. Please follow these steps:

1. In the keyboard, press WinLogo key + R.

2. In the Run box please type dxdiag and hit Enter.

3. Click on Save All Information (save it in your desktop).

4. Attach the report to this thread.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
BJurg
Beginner

I think this might be the Microsoft problem with power options not being saved.

First, after the April 2018 update, I no longer saw the "High Performance" under the "Additional power options" and my computer was set to "Balanced". I then posted my pixelations and tearing issues.

Later, I found buried in the "Additional power options" the "High Performance" setting (unfortunately, this setting is NOT kept - but that is a Microsoft issue.)

With the "High Performance" power option set, I still get pixilation (but for less than 1 second) and the screen tearing appears to be gone.

I am attaching my dxdiag.txt report file anyway.

Thanks

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Uncle_Bern,

Thank you for your response.

I was reviewing the report and the different details and I have found that your system currently has a driver version which apparently is not validated by your system's manufacturer.

Being this the case, first I would like you to download and install the latest version provided by them, according to the model of the system in the report you attached, here is what I found:

https://www.asus.com/Tower-PCs/VivoPC-M32CD/HelpDesk_Download/ https://www.asus.com/Tower-PCs/VivoPC-M32CD/HelpDesk_Download/

Those seem to be the downloads for your system; nevertheless, make sure to check with Asus to make sure that you install the most appropriate drivers.

Let me know the outcome of using this driver.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
BJurg
Beginner

Since my computer is a 6th gen. Intel chip (Skylake), I would have to go back three (3) years for the Intel HD Graphics 530 driver. Since this problem has been going on for several years, it seems to be some conflict with what Microsoft does with Windows 10 updates and the Intel HD Graphics 530.

I do not want to backwards over three years.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Uncle_Bern,

Thank you for your response,

I quite understand your position; however, we recommend to go with the drivers that the OEM has validated because we supply generic versions of graphics drivers for general purposes. Computer manufacturers can change the features, incorporate customization, or make other changes to the graphics driver software or software packaging. To avoid potential installation incompatibilities, we recommend that you first check with your computer manufacturer and use the driver software provided.

If possible, just for testing purposes, please use the latest one from your system manufacturer. If that does not help we can always go back to a newest version.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
BJurg
Beginner

OK, from the ASUS support I downloaded a file for Intel HD Graphics 10.18.15.4248 (dated 7/30/2015) -- unfortunately, this file had an extension of ".txt". This was NO GOOD, even though I changed the extension to ".zip" then ".exe" in the attempt to utilize it.

Then I downloaded from ASUS a file for Intel Graphics Accelerator Driver 10.18.15.4274 (dated 4/11/2016). It was in .zip format, which I expanded and installed that driver. This was the newest driver that I could see on the ASUS support for my computers processors (i.e. Skylake). Unfortunately, I was still presented with screen tearing in the Microsoft games and I got pixilation in my Adobe Photoshop element (a graphical program).

I have now returned to the Intel HD Graphics 530 driver version 15.65.5.4982, I still have some screen tearing with Microsoft games (i.e. Solitare, Minesweeper and Mahjong). Things are better when I can select the additional power option of "High Performance" (i.e. when the screen pixilates, it usually clears within 1-2 seconds); unfortunately the power setting is not retained when I sign-out, but that is a Microsoft issue.

Please note that the pixilation and screen tearing have slightly worsened with the Microsoft 10 Home April 2018 update.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Uncle_Bern,

Thank you for your response,

In this case, we will have to wait and see if there will be an update for your current graphics controller to fix any possible problems with the latest Windows* update. I cannot give you an exact date or tell you if it will be updated or not for sure. What I can recommend you to do is to keep on checking on our download center for any new possible updates.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/ https://downloadcenter.intel.com/

I apologize for any inconvenience.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
BJurg
Beginner

Today (5/24/2018) I just downloaded the driver 24.20.100.6094 and installed it. Unfortunately, the screen tearing and the pixilation (pixels randomly appearing on parts of the screen) are even worse than 24.20.100.6025. Also, as I type these words, some of the letters appear like squiggle lines for a couple of second, then they correct themselves.

The applications that have the most issues are Google Earth (installed on my computer), several of the Microsoft games (Solitare, Mahjong and Minesweeper) and Microsoft Edge.

I am going back to driver 15.65.5.4982.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Uncle_Bern,

Since this is the case then it is either a hardware issue, or a problem that has not been fixed after the April's update. Up to this point, what I could recommend you to do is either contact Asus* for more assistance and see if they have a work around for the problem caused by the update, or perhaps try different video cables or a different port to connect it from the PC to the monitor.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Uncle_Bern,

I am following up with your case and see that we have not heard back from you.

Were you able to contact Asus* about this problem?

If you need more assistance do not hesitate to reply.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
BJurg
Beginner

I have not contacted ASUS. They really don't offer me much help. The last time I had questions they told me my processor was Intel Kabylake, when I actually have Intel Skylake processor. Even though I gave ASUS my computer serial number, they were unable to correctly identify my chips. Thus they kept giving me incorrect information, because they insisted that I had Kabylake chips.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Uncle_Bern,

I have checked the information we have and I have found a newer driver version for your Intel ® Integrated Graphics controller. Please refer to the link below:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27803/Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10?product=88345 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27803/Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10?product=88345

Download the ".zip" file and then follow the steps below:

1 - Unzip the file to a designated location or folder.

2 - Right-click Windows Start icon and open Device Manager.

3 - Click Yes when prompted for permission from User Account Control.

4 - Expand the Display adapters section.

5 - Right-click the Intel® graphics entry and select Update Driver Software.

6 - Click "Browse my computer for driver software".

7 - Click "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer".

8 - Click "Have Disk".

9 - Click "Browse".

10 - Access the designated location or folder, and access a folder called "Graphics".

11 - Select the .INF file (Setup Information).

12 - Click Open, then click OK, and finally click Next. Drivers are now being installed.

13 - Reboot your computer

Let me know the outcome.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
BJurg
Beginner

I tried 24.20.100.6094 the other day. It did not improve things. Again I have gone back to 15.65.5.4982.

Thanks for trying to help. Still think there is some conflict, but what? I don't know.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Uncle_Bern,

I was checking some details and since we have tried different driver version to no avail, I want to check if the problem is actually our driver or perhaps an O.S problem. I want you to please uninstall the graphics controller by going to the "Device Manager", right-clicking on the graphics controller and clicking on "Uninstall".

Once you are using the Microsoft Basic Adapter, check to see if the tearing persists or if it keeps giving you issues.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
BJurg
Beginner

I just tried the newest driver 24.20.100.6094. I had been searching and found an issue with "Display driver igfx stopped responding and has successfully recovered." I looked into my event viewer and found the same entry (as a warning).

Unfortunately, this driver version causes more issues than driver version 15.65.5.4982, which I will return to after trying your "uninstall" instructions.

0 Kudos
BJurg
Beginner

For all procedures/reboots I had my Anti-Virus turned off. I did an "Uninstall Device" on the Intel HD Graphics 530. After the reboot It returned -- however, it had rolled back the driver and had installed 24.20.100.6025. I know in the past, I had done a "Safe Mode" bootup and at that time the graphic corruptions had gone away using the Microsoft basic display driver --- but it was SLOW. (NOTE: I only have the Intel HD Graphics 530 on the motherboard, and even though I uninstall it, the device was automatically returned to its entry under "Display adapters".

I have returned to driver 15.65.5.4982.

I have now noticed in the event viewer the following warning message: "Display driver igfx stopped responding and has successfully recovered." This event has been seen in all of the last three (3) display drivers that I have tried -> 24.20.100.6094 and 24.20.100.6025 and even 15.65.5.4982.

0 Kudos
BJurg
Beginner

Over the weekend, I decided to try something. I had downloaded a "third party driver update utility" and used it to scan my computer and found several "Intel" drivers to be updated. I did NOT use this utility to do updates. I went to my Device Manager and looked for updates to drivers. I updated to the following drivers:

Intel Display Audio:------------------------> 10.25.0.5

Intel HD Graphics 530:--------------------> 24.20.100.6094

Intel Management Engine Interface: -> 11.0.5.1189

I still get portions of the screen to freeze for 1-2 seconds (and have these little square dots randomly appearing on the screen). In the Microsoft games, and in Edge; I also get the screen freezing 1-2 seconds and sometime screen tearing. Google Earth Pro really tears up when showing the globe and when in "street view",

I constantly get the "Display driver igfx stopped responding and has successfully recovered." in the Event Viewer, Windows logs, System for entry of "display".

0 Kudos
BJurg
Beginner

Update on my weekend trials.

Alas, I had to go back to driver 15.65.5.4982 because when using 24.20.100.6094 my system froze. Had to force it down and reboot. Then it did it again.

Now with 15.65.5.4982 I got a message that "an app has been blocked from accessing graphics hardware".

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Uncle_Bern,

Up to this point, I would recommend you to get in contact with Asus* support. This is because we have tried the different drivers and so provided by Intel ® but to no avail. They should be able to check if there is any hardware problem.

Something else that can be tried is to re-install the Operating System. This is because, we have tried the different drivers but

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
BJurg
Beginner

I have just tried 24.20.100.6136, but it still screen tears and pixelates. Going back to 15.65.5.4982.

I have noticed in the event viewer the following warning message: "Display driver igfx stopped responding and has successfully recovered." Other internet forums suggest "turning off hardware acceleration", but I can not find our where to do it with Windows 10 Home version 1803 or with the Intel Graphic display settings.

0 Kudos