Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20599 Discussions

Intel 5500 Graphic Driver Issue.

DFree
Beginner

I have been having a really strange issue with a 5500 HD Graphics on a i5 6200u. When windows 10 boots up everything is fine until I reach the log in screen. At that point everything goes to scrambled. I restarted and used safe mode. I uninstalled the driver. I also told windows not to reinstall drivers. I then restarted the laptop. The scrambled screen went away at this point.

Next I tried to install the driver from lenovo (I have a lenovo ideapad 100) as soon as the driver installed the screen scramble came back. I then went back to safe mode, uninstalled the driver, then restarted. Again, the scrambled screen went away. So this time I tried installing the driver from Intel. As soon as the driver installed the screen scrambled. I went back to safe mode, uninstalled the driver, and rebooted. As long as I don't install a driver the scramble seems to stay away.

I also like to run a dual boot for linux. So I started to install ubuntu and shockingly the screen scrambled once I got to the install screen on ubuntu.

Also, I would like to mention that I did update the BIOS to the latest version from lenovo. I did this after the second time I had the screen issue on windows.

The screen shot below shows a very mild case of the screen issue. It got much worse after i took this.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
DFree
Beginner

I also forgot to add that I ran the Intel processor diagnostic tool and it said the graphics were functioning properly. I then tried and external monitor while the laptop monitor was scrambled. The external monitor showed the same scrambled image.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi DBFreem,

I understand the video screen does not seem to function properly. That is unfortunate.

After connecting an external monitor and installing a different operating system and the problem still persist, this definitely seems to be a hardware problem.

Does this issue still happen when you test one memory stick at a time?

If the problem continues, please check with http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/ordersupport/ Lenovo for warranty options

Allan.
0 Kudos