Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14405 Discussions

Which are the optimal temperatures for i7-6700 HQ CPU?

MAtta2
Beginner

Hi dear community,

I would like to ask which are the optimal temperatures for i7-6700HQ CPU:

1.While the system is idle:

2.While the system is under high load

3.Which temps are dangerous

4.And which temperatures would be OPTIMAL while playing some heavy game like GTA V for 1 hour without break for an example?

And is downclocking of the CPU safe?Could it lower the CPU temperature?Also would the game lag if the CPU is downclocked?Also on which temperature this CPU starts throttling,and how can I test it to know if it is throttling?And which temperatures could short the CPU's lifespan?

Please answer to my questions!

Thanks in advance!

Best regards!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello intel_92,

Thank you for contacting Intel Communities.

In this case, there isn't a correct answer for your questions; however, the following behavior is expected:

1.While the system is idle:
  • You can expect temperatures from 30°C to 40°C.
2.While the system is under high load:
  • Temperatures may vary from 70°C to 90°C.
3.Which temps are dangerous: 4.And which temperatures would be OPTIMAL while playing some heavy game like GTA V for 1 hour without break for an example?
  • As the temperature fluctuates, there isn't a specific temperature, it can go up to 100°C and could drop to 80°C or 90°C.
5. And is downclocking of the CPU safe?Could it lower the CPU temperature? Also would the game lag if the CPU is downclocked?Also on which temperature this CPU starts throttling, and how can I test it to know if it is throttling?And which temperatures could short the CPU's lifespan?
  • Altering the CPU frequency may affect the system stability and it is unsupported, it also voids the warranty of your product.
Intel® Processors will shut down your system automatically in case the system overheats, this to prevent any damage to the system.

Hope this information helps.

Regards,

Juan Carlos
0 Kudos
Amirbaqeri
Beginner
Hi dear community,
The maximum temperature of my laptop reaches 97C while playing games with Intel Core i7 6700HQ CPU. Is this temperature normal or does it damage the CPU?
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Just my opinions...
Intel will tell you that any temperature below the Maximum Junction Temperature (Tjmax) is normal and acceptable. What hot garbage! While the processor can (supposedly) handle these temperatures for their full warranted lifetime, there are three issues with this, (1) people want their processors to last a *lot* longer than the (3 year) warranted lifetime (whereas Intel has become a 'What have you bought from us lately?' company), (2) the processor maintaining these temperatures is not doing the components around it any good (they often roast as a result) and (3) this statement is abused, especially by Laptop manufacturers, to free them from having to provide adequate cooling for the processor (they instead rely on the processor's thermal throttling mechanism to keep the temperature down) and to cheat on the battery run time, etc.
So, you have a laptop. Did you know that it's components - processor, chipset and other silicon, memory, storage, display, etc. - have absolutely no (none, zero, nada) warranty from its manufacturer (Intel, AMD or otherwise)? Your only warranty comes from the Laptop manufacturer. How long is this warranty? Rarely does it match the length of the warranty for the Intel components included. It doesn't matter, however, because your warranty is only from the Laptop manufacturer. This means that the Laptop manufacturer can, amongst other things, cheat on cooling system quality. You pay for quality but get sh...
Bottom line, no, the Laptop should have a cooling subsystem that keeps the temperatures a lot lower. Only you, through your purchasing decisions, can keep these manufacturers honest.
Off my soapbox now...
...S

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello intel_92,

I was reviewing this thread and I wanted to know if you need further assistance?

Please don't hesitate in replying to this post if you need additional information.

Regards,

Juan Carlos
0 Kudos