Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14517 Discussions

CPU Core Temperature (not tcase reading) 99-100 degree celsius, safe?

TSija
Beginner

My PC Configuration:-

Mobo: Asus H81M-P

Processor: Intel Core-i3 4150 3.5Ghz CPU

RAM: 2x4 GB Dual Channel RAM 1333 BUS

GPU: Zotac Nvidia GTX 1050 2GB

I recently installed GTA V in my PC. Everything runs quite smoothly in this config and I get nearly 60 FPS. I used to measure CPU,RAM,GPU usage and their temperature using MSI After Burner(also other programs like HWinfo, Real Temp, Speccy). While playing it shows CPU temperature is nearly 95 to 100 degree Celsius and usage is about 95 to 100%). I guess its the overall core temperature. At the same time another program Asus Ai Suite shows CPU temperature is only 62 degree Celsius. In an Asus forum I've found that this program measures CPU uses based on tcase reading and it's CPU package temperature. So, if I run and play GTA V in this 90-100 degree Celsius(showed by MSI After Burner,HWinfo,Real Temp, Speccy) temperature, will it be safe?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Sijan:

To answer your question, if the processor is in fact reaching 95-100°C degrees that is a risky temperature, when a unit is reaching that kind of value it is considered that the processor is overheating and it is not safe to use the PC under that scenario.

Now, those are 3rd party tools and they could have misreadings, we have a very reliable tool to test the processor, it does an overall test including a temperature test, if the processor passes the test it means it should be working fine and it is not getting overheated:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool

According to the specifications of the processor, the t-case of it is 72°C, so it is expected for the unit to reach that value or a little bit higher, but not to the point of running at 95-100°C:

http://ark.intel.com/products/77486/Intel-Core-i3-4150-Processor-3M-Cache-3_50-GHz http://ark.intel.com/products/77486/Intel-Core-i3-4150-Processor-3M-Cache-3_50-GHz

The temperature and cpu usage on a processor always fluctuates, it is not a steady value, it will depend on the programs that are running, the processes on the background and all the possible tasks that are in progress.

It is expected for the cpu usage and temperature to go up and down for the reasons provided above, specially if you are playing a game.

Is the PC throttling, getting freeze or shutting down by itself?

Those are the main symptoms of overheating, remember that the Intel processors have a feature that when it is getting overheated the PC will go off by itself, to avoid any damage on the rest of the components, so if the PC is not showing that behavior then it means it is working properly.

Please run the toll and let us know the results.

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards

Alberto

TSija
Beginner

Thanks, I've run the Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool and the result is : Pass. the Test Result is in the attachment.

I mentioned that the Asus AI Suite(which most possibly calculates processor temperature by tcase Reading) shows 62 degree Celsius whereas other tools(like MSI afterburner) shows at the same time CPU temperature of 95-100 degree Celsius(which I think the average of all core temperatures, not tcase reading).Besides, I've never noticed my PC shutting down itself in this reading. So, is it safe ?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Sijan:

You are welcome.

Thank you very much for providing this information, the picture and for attached the report file of the Intel® processor diagnostics tool.

Based on that report and to answer your question, yes, it is safe, the processor is working fine, it reports that:

Expected Greater than 1 degrees below max

Received 36 degrees below max

And also the processor base clock frequency is properly detected:

Expected Base Clock: 100

Detected Base Clock: 100

So, it is working fine, and as you mentioned, the PC is not showing any symptoms of overheating, there is no need to worry at this point.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards

Alberto
0 Kudos