Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2047 Discussions

RST Issue: IAstorUI crashes after Windows 8 => 8.1 upgrade

DPick3
Beginner

ISstorUI stopped working as soon as I upgraded Windows 8 to Windows 8.1. An "upgrade" that I sincerely regret and would caution anyone against making.

I am using...

Product Detectedhttp://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/highlights/sftwr-prod/imsm Intel(R) ICH8R/ICH9R/ICH10R/DO/5/3400/6 Series SATA RAID ControllerCurrent Driver Installed12.0.1.1019

...which appears to be the latest version.

I am terrified of many any changes out of fear of destroying my entire RAID.

Anyone have any thoughts? Should I just live with IAstorUI malfunctioning?

According to the download center, the only RST download certified for Windows 8.1 is 12.0.1.1016, but nothing I've seen from Intel / Microsoft inspires me to have enough confidence to install that driver.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DPick3
Beginner

To anyone interested, here is the fix:

(1) Intel's driver update utility said that 12.0.1.1019 was the latest driver, and that my drivers were current. The utility was wrong. The latest version of the driver is 12.8.0.1016. You can get that driver here:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=23060&ProdId=2101&lang=eng&OSVersion=Windows%208.1*&DownloadType=Drivers Download Center

(2) Windows 8.1 is supposed to update your drivers as part of installation, including the 12.8.0.1016 driver. Even though it says it has, it does not. Or there is something wrong with the driver version Windows uses. Opinions seem mixed.

In any event, downloading the 12.8.0.1016 driver and running it fixed my problems.

0 Kudos
DPick3
Beginner

THIS "FIX" IS VERY BUGGY.

Running 12.0.1.1019 Windows 8, my RAID 10 worked perfectly and was completely stable.

Running 12.8.0.1016 under Windows 8.1, my RAID 10 is an unstable pile of excrement.

The so-called "upgrade" to Windows 8.1 has been an absolute disaster - one, by the way, that it is impossible to revert from. You cannot simply revert to a previous restore point. The only way to revert safely is to completely clean and reload your computer. Insofar as the only reason I bought Windows 8 in the first place was due to RAID support issues in Windows 7, this is infuriating.

Do ANYONE know ANY way of getting 12.8.0.1016 to run stably with Windows 8.1?

A sample of what is happening:

=> Moving files between folders causes Windows to freeze.

=> Rebooting causes Windows to run slowly for a while, and then RST announces that you need to "verify" your RAID.

=> Verifying your RAID essentially makes your computer unusable for 6 hours.

This happens every day.

Never again will I use an Intel RAID on my computer.

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Please provide the system report from Intel® Rapid Storage Technology; like this: Help, System Report, Save.

0 Kudos