Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4808 Discussions

I350 teaming on Windows 10 active/passive configuration

NNiks
Beginner

I know that teaming is not supported for WIndows 10 at the moment by Intel drivers but maybe someone will have some info about my problem.

I am trying to set NIC (I350) teaming in active/passive configuration - 2 NICs are connected, if link to one goes down, the other takes over.

So, I have Windows 10 Enterprise machine with 4 onboard NICs. I am currently using only 2.

I have successfully teamed 2 NICs by using the following command:

New-NetLbfoTeam -Name Team -TeamMembers ethernet1,ethernet2

Everything works that way but that is active/active configuration which doesn't work for me. I need active/passive configuration.

I've tried to do that by using the following command:

Set-NetLbfoTeamMember -Name ethernet1 -AdministrativeMode Standby

this command fails with the following error:

Set-NetLbfoTeamMember : One or more parameter values passed to the method were invalid.

At line:1 char:1

+ Set-NetLbfoTeamMember -Name eth1 -AdministrativeMode Standby

+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo : InvalidArgument: (MSFT_NetLbfoTea...DBCB57F957E4}"):root/StandardCi...tLbfoTeamMember) [Set-NetLbfoTeamMember], CimException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : MI RESULT 4,Set-NetLbfoTeamMember

Putting the names in quotes doesn't help either.

Powershell is running with administrator privileges, all NICs are from the same chipset and I can not use Intel teaming because it is not supported on Windows 10 ("Intel(R) Advanced Network Services (Intel(R) ANS) Teams and VLANs are not supported on Microsoft* Windows* "). There is a sample of that cmdlet from the Microsoft page which is essentially the same so I don't think that the syntax is incorrect - "Set-NetLbfoTeamMember -Name "NIC4" -AdministrativeMode Standby"

I have checked this page for the reference but without any help - https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj130857(v=wps.630).aspx

Long story short - I can put 2 NICs in a team but can not make one passive.

Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi NikcJPN,

Just a suggestion here not relevant to the command but not sure if this could be of help. ve Please try set the switch Spanning Tree (STP) mode to off.

Thanks,

wb

0 Kudos
NNiks
Beginner

Thanks for the effort but sorry, not it is helping in my case

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

HI NickJPN,

Thank you for the reply. I will further investigate on this.

rgds

wb

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi NickJPN,

Further checking, it would be best you contact Microsoft* as this is Microsoft* command, they can further assist you with possible work around.

rgds,

wb

0 Kudos