Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

Can I use non-Lenovo drivers on switchable graphics Intel/AMD

idata
Employee

My first time using a switchable graphics laptop. Do I have to use the Lenovo website drivers designed for this laptop? Or can I go directly to the Intel and AMD websites, download the latest drivers for each separately, then install them separately?

Lenovo 510s

i7-6500 2.5GHz

GPU Intel 520 / AMD R7 M460

Win10 64

0 Kudos
1 Solution
AlHill
Super User

That is a question you should ask Lenovo. The Intel drivers may be customized by Lenovo for their product. Using Intel [generic] drivers may cause you to lose some functionality. As for the AMD drivers, that is a good question for Lenovo and AMD, as those drivers are not provided by Intel.

Best to stay with the Lenovo drivers for a supported system.

Doc

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
AlHill
Super User

That is a question you should ask Lenovo. The Intel drivers may be customized by Lenovo for their product. Using Intel [generic] drivers may cause you to lose some functionality. As for the AMD drivers, that is a good question for Lenovo and AMD, as those drivers are not provided by Intel.

Best to stay with the Lenovo drivers for a supported system.

Doc

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello tzr916,

Thank you for contacting the Intel community.

That's right, the proper drivers for your system are provided by your computer manufacturer Lenovo, you can use the Intel® generic drivers but you might lose some functionality since Lenovo may have altered the features, incorporated customizations, or made other changes to your driver.

If you encounter problems using the generic driver, Intel recommends reinstalling the latest validated driver from your computer manufacturer for your system.

Best regards,

Ivan U.

0 Kudos