Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20626 Discussions

HD Graphics Control Panel won't start

idata
Employee

I noticed that Intel HD Graphics 4000 doesn't seem to be working on my computer which has both the Intel onboard graphics and an NVIDIA GTX 1080 card (the Intel onboard graphics is normally active for encoding hardware acceleration for my Milestone XProtect surveillance system). It might have something to do with the Windows Fall Creators Update. When I click on the HD Graphics Control Panel, nothing happens, indicating that there is some bug with the Intel driver. I tried updating to the latest Intel driver using the update utility, but doesn't make any difference. I also tried completely uninstalling the Intel HD driver and re-installing. I found some discussion posts talking about a problem with Intel Virtualization technology recommending to disable this feature in the BIOS. I did that and tried uninstalling, re-installing again, but that didn't make any difference either. Is Intel not coordinating with Microsoft?

0 Kudos
12 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello DDBear,

Thank you for contacting Intel® technical support. I will be more than happy to help you.

I understand that you are having issues with the Intel® HD Graphics Control Panel after updating to Windows® 10 Fall Creators.

To better assist you with your request, I will need to check some information about your computer. Please follow these steps:
  1. In the keyboard, press WinLogo key + R.
  2. In the Run box please type dxdiag and hit Enter.
  3. Click on Save All Information (save it in your desktop).
  4. Attach to this thread the file
To attach a file, you must click "Use advanced editor" in the top right and then click the "Attach" option on the bottom right hand the response box.

Regards,

Xavier A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Xavier from Intel,

When I searched the forums and found that many others have run into this same problem, I noticed that the support responses ask for the dxdiag info, but then there is never any resolution to those posts. I think you have collected enough dxdiag info from all those other posts. We are all just waiting on a solution.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello DDBear,

The DxDiag* is an individual report for each system, so the report submitted by anyone else will not help you in any way with your current request.

I am requesting this report to you to gather enough information to provide you with a solution or a suggestion.

Regards,

Xavier A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello DDBear,

I was checking your case and would like to know if you need further assistance. If so, please do not hesitate in replying back.

Regards,

Xavier A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I still have the problem. Here is the dxdiag info, attached.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello DDBear,

Thank you for the information provided. According to the DxDiag* report in your system, the currently active graphics controller is an NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1080 graphics card. Also, according to this report, the system does not support hybrid graphics, which means that in this system the only graphics controller available is the NVIDIA® graphics card.

Since only the NVIDIA® graphics card is being used by the system, the Intel® HD Graphics 4000 controller will stay deactivated, and that is the reason why the Intel® HD Graphics Control Panel is not available. This is actually normal in many systems after installing a dedicated graphics card.

If you still need to access and use the Intel® HD Graphics Control Panel, you will need to physically remove the NVIDIA® graphics card, or you will need to check with your system manufacturer to see if it is possible to enable hybrid graphics in your BIOS settings to use the two controllers at the same time.

Regards,

Xavier A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Xavier, ..but my Asus Sabertooth Z77 motherboard does support hybrid graphics and it was working with both Intel encoding/decoding H.264 + the discrete NVIDIA graphics card sometime prior to the Windows Fall Creators Update (I'm not sure exactly when it stopped working, but the timing of the update is suspected). According to my Asus Sabertooth Z77 motherboard datasheet, ".. fully utilize 3x faster video conversion with Intel® Quick Sync Video technology while retaining high-end 3D rendering and gaming performance, provided by both NVIDIA® and AMD graphic cards. "

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello DDBear,

I understand your concern and you need to enable the Intel® Quick Sync Video technology. In order to enable it, you need to activate hybrid graphics in your system.

To activate hybrid graphics, to do it in your BIOS settings to use the two controllers at the same time.

Regards,

Xavier A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Xavier, hybrid graphics has always been enabled in my BIOS settings. Here are two photos of my BIOS screen, attached. It used to work before, and then after some Windows Updates the Intel portion stopped working.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello DDBear,

I see. In that case, you will need to either contact your computer manufacturer to check if there is something wrong with the settings since the Intel® HD Graphics controller is not activated, or contact Microsoft® Support to see if the system update disabled the system capabilities to enable hybrid graphics.

Regards,

Xavier A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello DDBear,

I was checking your case and would like to know if you need further assistance. If so, please do not hesitate in replying back.

Regards,

Xavier A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Xavier, I am guessing that Microsoft did something in their update so that Intel onboard graphics are not available anymore. I think that Intel should be interested in working with Microsoft to fix this (I can only report on the problem, I can't modify the software which is coordinated between Microsoft and Intel). Thanks for the followup.

0 Kudos