Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20629 Discussions

Intel HD Graphics 4000 - driver .4653 fails with Windows 10 v1703 (Creators Update) - any suggestions ?

SRead1
Beginner

Hi,

I've tried updating my laptop a number of times to Windows 10 v1703 (Creators update) but have to always roll back to my previous Windows 10 version because of getting error 43 with my Intel HD Graphics 4000 driver. Tried uninstalling the driver, rebooting and then reinstalling the current .4653 driver from this site but still fails. I have seen some suggestions about removing other failing devices but I don't think I have any to do that with. It takes hours to update, find the problem is still there and then revert back so does anyone know whether there will ever be an Intel driver update for HD Graphics 4000 that works with the Creators update or am I stuck having to not upgrade or buy a new laptop ?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

You say laptop. Are you sure that this laptop doesn't (a) have hybrid graphics (i.e. utilizes both the Intel graphics engine plus a separate NVIDIA or AMD graphics IC) and/or (b) requires a custom version of the Intel driver (i.e. customizations introduced by laptop vendor to handle laptop dimming, etc. features)? The driver error may be the result of the installation being rejected because a custom driver is in use. I suggest that you use only the drivers that are available via the laptop vendor's site and via the Windows Update site.

I also had some issues with the 1703 installation failing. This turned out to be due to some systems not having enough free space on the system disk (usually a small eMMC) and/or not enough DRAM. I found that I had to set up a flash stick with the full Windows ISO file installed onto it and then start the upgrade from the Setup.exe on this flash stick. Further, during the upgrade itself, I also had to say no to the download and install of subsequent updates as part of the process (I did these separately later via Windows Update).

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
yqiu3
Novice

Hi,

My laptop's configuration: Dell Latitude E6330, BIOS ver : A19, i3-3110M.

Smooth and Successfully upgraded from version 1703 to 1709.

I believe that you could check the driver version for the other devices,like Intel ME, chipset, WIFI adapter, Intel RST.

The driver version list for your reference as follow:

Intel Chipset 10.1.1.40

Intel RST 12.8.20.1002

Intel ME 11.0.11.1193

Intel PROset/Wireless 20.0.2

Intel Network Connection 22.7

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Yao,

So are you saying that you have solved the problem? If you have Windows upgraded and a version of the Intel HD Graphics driver is installed and running and you are not having any issues with it, then leave it be. Wait for subsequent versions to be released through Windows Update.

...S

0 Kudos
SRead1
Beginner

Hi Scott, it sounds like Yao never actually had my problem as he noted upgrading successfully from v1703 to 1709 when I can't even get to v1703 in the first place !. To be honest, I'm not as technically literate as you guys are so some of what you are recommending is going over my head !

I believe based on the following that I do not have a hybrid graphics but investigating whether I have customer drivers or not is likely to be beyond me. I was hoping that the process would be straightforward but sounds like it isn't for me and that basically I need to ditch my current laptop. It's old (HP Spectre TouchSmart Ultrabook 15-4010nr) but was still perfectly functional under Windows 10 until the creators update came along. It's also now out of support with HP so I'm likely to struggle getting help from there

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Oops, sorry, I didn't catch that the author had changed

First, let me talk about generational support. Microsoft and Intel are only supporting Windows 10 on 3rd generation and newer Core processors (and 7 Series chipsets). Anything older is supported only with Microsoft's compatibility drivers (which perform poorly). As time goes on, Intel will be dropping support for older generations as they reach end of life. This has already caused a few 3rd generation platforms to drop off the list and most others will do so in the next (guess) 6 months. It has also meant that 32-bit support is being dropped (and some Atom processors that only supported 32-bits were dropped along with it). I would note that Intel *never* supported Windows 10 on its desktop motherboards for 3rd and 4th generation Core processors. So, yes, bottom line, you should be thinking about an upgrade in the future - but end of next year perhaps; you really don't need to do so today.

Ok, to your problem. From the Device Manager display, it looks like you are seeing an issue with the driver before doing anything. For Intel's 4th generation NUCs, their recommended version of the Intel HD Graphics driver is 15.40.13.4331. You can get this version https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25621/NUCs-Intel-HD-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-for-Intel-NUC-Kit-D34010WY-D54250WY?product=81164 here. I suggest that you install this version and, if the yellow bang is then clear, we can talk about another attempt to upgrade the Windows 10 version again. Try this and let's see what happens...

...S

0 Kudos
yqiu3
Novice

Hi Spread,

I suggest that you upgrade directly to version v1709 via media creation tool.

Media Creation Tool supports cross-version upgrades.

It could help your machine upgrading directly from the current version to the latest version(1709).

Media Creation Too is easy to use, just follow my tips.

1, Hit the link as follow:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 Download Windows 10

2, Hit "Download tool now":

You will get a app, MediaCreationTool.exe.

3, Double click the app and follow the instructions, you will get your machine upgrade to v1709(windows10 rs3 fall creators update).

0 Kudos