Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2046 Discussions

Intel SSD 900p support Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) for RAID1?

RInte1
Beginner

The Intel Optane 900P SSD which comes in two connector styles, does it support being used in a RAID1? Specifically, my system already uses Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) and I would like to add a mirror configuration of 900P optane drives for booting.

Alternatively, if I can configure it as a cache drive using Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST), that would be interesting too.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Rygir,

Thanks for being part of our communities.

Please review the requirements to boot from Intel® Optane™ SSD 900P Series, you can find that in the following article:

- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000025766/memory-and-storage.html Frequently Asked Questions for Intel® Optane™ SSD 900P Series

The Intel® Optane™ SSD 900P Series is a PCIe NVMe based drive, we'll move this thread to the /community/tech/rapid-storage-technology Rapid Storage Technology Community section so they can confirm if you can boot from NVMe RAID1 volumes using Intel® RST and if the Intel® Smart Response Technology feature supports NVMe as well.

Best regards,

Eugenio F.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Rygir: Thank you very much for contacting the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology communities. We will do our best in order to try to provide the information that you are requesting.

In order to provide the most accurate response, we will do further research on this matter, as soon as I get any updates I will post all the details on this thread.

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto R

0 Kudos
RInte1
Beginner
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Rygir: I just received an update on this matter and the answer is yes, you can set up a RAID 1 using 2 Intel® Optane® 900P SSDs, but remember that the SSDs come in different form factors so what we need to confirm is if the motherboard supports those SSDs. In order to gather that information please get in contact directly with the manufacturer of the board.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto R

0 Kudos
RInte1
Beginner

Well I was planning on two PCIe SSDs and I have a GIGABYTE Z87X-UD3H-CF motherboard. It should have a free x8 and an x4 slot, anything else I need to look at?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Rygir,

Thanks for your reply.

On the hardware side (Intel® Optane™ SSD 900P Series), just make sure your system meets the general requirements to use the drives:

- https://www.intel.sg/content/www/xa/en/support/articles/000025741/memory-and-storage/enthusiast-ssds.html System Requirements for an Intel® Optane™ SSD 900P Series Drivers

We'll engage our community to review the software requirements.

Best regards,

Eugenio F.
0 Kudos