Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4866 Discussions

XL710: update not available. in fact it is available.

EZheg
Beginner

Hi,

I just downloaded new NVM bundle v6.01. But when I'm trying to run it I get:

# ./nvmupdate64e

Intel(R) Ethernet NVM Update Tool

NVMUpdate version 1.30.2.17

Copyright (C) 2013 - 2017 Intel Corporation.

WARNING: To avoid damage to your device, do not stop the update or reboot or power off the system during this update.

Inventory in progress. Please wait [|.........]

Num Description Ver. DevId S:BStatus

=== ======================================== ===== ===== ====== ===============

01) Intel(R) 82599 10 Gigabit Dual Port 64.37 10FB 00:001 Update not Network Connection available02) Intel(R) Ethernet Controller XL710 for5.02 1584 00:130 Update not 40GbE QSFP+ available

Tool execution completed with the following status: Device not found

Press any key to exit.

Why is that ? The version is clearly older.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi Drookie,

Thank you for posting in Wired Communities.

1) Is the XL710 an onboard NIC on certain system or standalone NIC?

2) Please share what is the module brand and model installed on your XL710, it is recommended to use supported module / cable listed on our Intel website below:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006051/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html

Thank you.

Regards,

Sharon

0 Kudos
EZheg
Beginner

It's a Supermicro-manufactured XL710 card, AOC-S40G-i2Q. From what I can see, Supermicro doesn't seem to provide it's own NVM bundles. Furthermore, I have this card with NVM 5.02, and it was successfully updated previously with the Intel NVM bundle - but not this time though. Does Intel discourage from buying 3rd-party manufactured network products ? Because from my experience it is - every discussion is usually stopped there - "go to your subvendor and ask him for support", and the vendor support says "go to Intel, it's their controller".

I now remember, we used to have a similar discussion already, and it ended on the same stage - "go to Supermicro". I can also say that I had this discussion with Supermicro in May, and they clearly said to me that I _should_ use the Intel NVM bundle.

Why does Intel license their controllers to other parties in the first place then, because I wouldn't buy this card if it wasn't Intel (I'm staying away from XL710 and X710 from now on too, to be honest, but that's another story). I think you guys should reconsider the licensing terms, so people doesn't get trapped in this situation without support, after buying the equipment from a vendor they mistakenly thought it was made by.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Drookie,

Thank you for the clarification. I apologize for any inconvenience this might have caused but can you share what is the cable or optical modules used

on this NIC? (I understand the firmware was updated successfully before with NVM 5.02)

Have you tried to upgrade to firmware version 5.05 first then upgrade to version 6.01?

With regards to OEM support, the system manufacturer has their own version of firmware, thus we recommend to contact the OEM vendor for the customized firmware which is suitable for the OEM NIC.

Please feel free to update me.

Thanks,

Sharon
0 Kudos
EZheg
Beginner

Yup, I did try to update to 5.05 first - same old story:

# ./nvmupdate64e

Intel(R) Ethernet NVM Update Tool

NVMUpdate version 1.28.19.4

Copyright (C) 2013 - 2016 Intel Corporation.

WARNING: To avoid damage to your device, do not stop the update or reboot or power off the system during this update.

Inventory in progress. Please wait [|.........]

Num Description Ver. DevId S:BStatus

=== ======================================== ===== ===== ====== ===============

01) Intel(R) 82599 10 Gigabit Dual Port 64.37 10FB 00:001 Update not Network Connection available02) Intel(R) Ethernet Controller XL710 for5.02 1584 00:130 Update not 40GbE QSFP+ available

Tool execution completed with the following status: Device not found

Press any key to exit.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Drookie,

Thank you for the update. Can you share the optical module brand and model used?

Thanks,

sharon

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Drookie,

To better check on this, can you share the ethtool -i output? Looking forward to your reply. Thank you.

Regards,

Sharon

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Drookie,

Please feel free to provide the information.

Thanks,

Sharon

0 Kudos