Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20492 Discussions

Intel UHD 620 mobile cannot output a single useful resolution over HDMI

MGeht
Beginner

My only options are:

3840x2160 30Hz 24bit color

1920x1080 30Hz 24bit color

1920x1080 60Hz 8bit color <- seriously?</strong>

1366x768 60Hz 24bit color

So what is that? I could understand that there's no 4k 60Hz over HDMI in my >$1000 brand new Laptop with i5-8250u. But no HD at 60Hz and full colors? This can't be right, what year is it? 1995?

Please someone shed light on what "UHD" is supposed to mean or how to get an output that my other 10 years old laptop can do easily.

Thanks,

Mark.

0 Kudos
15 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Run this utility and attach the results. Then, one of the intel support agents can assist you.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility Download Intel® System Support Utility for Windows*

Doc

n_scott_pearson
Super User

Actually, the answer to this question is quite simple. The processor supports up to three DisplayPort 1.2 outputs, and each is indeed capable of 4K@60Hz. Now, to provide a HDMI output, a LSPcon IC is needed that will do the conversion. Your laptop has either (a) a LSPcon IC that is not capable of supporting 4K@60Hz (i.e. only supports HDMI 1.4) or (b) a LSPcon IC that *is* capable of supporting 4K@60Hz (i.e. supports HDMI 2.0), but it needs a firmware update before this can be realized.

Bottom line, go bug your laptop vendor and get them to answer the questions regarding what they have provided.

...S

0 Kudos
MGeht
Beginner

N.Scott.Pearson

I doubt anyone could flash a newer firmware to a random IC in a laptop. It's from HP btw in case you wanted to know.

A more informative reply could have been, what modes the UHD 620 mobile "should" be able to provide - I was specifically NOT asking for 4k but just regular HD@60Hz/24bit .

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Actually, the LSPcon IC vendors publish firmware updates all the time - and they provide tools that can push these updates into their device's firmware store. On some of the Intel NUCs, Intel has published updates to the LSPcon firmware so folks can upgrade the capabilities provided. All you can do is ask the laptop vendor. Oh, you said it was HP. Nevermind. That's like asking for blood from a stone.

As for the other modes, again, it is going to be dependent upon what the LSPcon IC provides and what the internal display of the laptop supports. If you want to look at what Intel's graphics engines can support, here's a link to the datasheets; have at them: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/core/core-technical-resources.html Technical Resources (datasheets, etc.) for Intel Core Processors.

...S

0 Kudos
MGeht
Beginner

Please see scan attached.

0 Kudos
MGeht
Beginner

So what can I do? I tried the old drivers supplied by HP, these are super dated, as well as the most recent drivers from intel. It didn't change anything. I don't see a firmware update from HP.

0 Kudos
MGeht
Beginner

I found the firmware update now, it didn't change anything. As before, I do have all these modes listed, but when I activate e.g. 1920x1080 60Hz 32Bit I only get reduced color output, it looks horrible compared to 30Hz. With HD@30Hz on the other hand the aspect ratio is wrong.

I know this sounds like my monitor would jack up here, but it's not. I got several computers and the monitor supports the modes I want just fine. The laptop doesn't output them correctly. Please see screenshot attached.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Have you discussed this with HP?

MGeht
Beginner

No I haven't - their support website is constantly down and they seem to follow the "Microsoft" support approach anyway, meaning some random callcenter type of guy posting prewritten textblock answers that don't help anything. My time is a bit limited, I'm a father working two jobs.

Nothing works right with this expensive piece of ** - autorotation never worked since I got it, the inductive touch pen I had to purchase separately reacts like using a 15 years old tablet, the screen is basically unreadable on anything but 100% brightness indoors. The Geforce 940mx seems to have less rendering power than my grandma and doesn't support game streaming, the battery is dry in 1.5h when really using the CPU - and there are like 25 different models of my laptop. They advertise these things like they where gold, in the end you're better off buying from eBay something that's proven to live longer than 12 month. Sorry for my rant on the side.

0 Kudos
RonaldM_Intel

Hello Borthan and al.hill,

I would like to step in and try to help if that is ok with you.

Just to clarify, was the screenshot you shared earlier taken from Windows Display Settings or from the Nvidia Control Panel?

In order to better understand this situation, please make sure the external Display is connected to your laptop and then launch the Intel Graphics Control Panel > Options and Support > Information Center > Click on 'Save' option. Attach here the report that is generated. This report should be useful to confirm how the Intel Graphics controller is detecting the external Display and come up with the next steps.

Also include the https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000022556/graphics-drivers.html DxDiag.txt and I will also use it to try to find out what is going on here.

I look forward to hearing from you again.

Best Regards,

Ronald M.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, Borthan.

I would like to know if you still need assistance? If so, please respond to this thread with the information requested by Ronald_Intel.

Antony S.
0 Kudos
MGeht
Beginner

Hi there,

yes. I'd still need support. Sorry, I've been sick for a few days.

@Ronald_Intel The screenshot was from Device Manager -> Display -> Modes (hope I translated it correctly).

When I use the Intel Display Manager I do get 60hz at 1920x1080 as an option, but when I use it it doesn't work, external remains black and after a while it's switching back to the previous resolution.

When I use Windows Display Settings and set 1920x1080 it automatically selects a 30Hz mode.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
RonaldM_Intel

Hi again,

First of all I'm sorry to hear that you've been sick, and I hope you get better

Please include the reports I mentioned in my previous reply (i.e. Graphics driver report and DxDiag.txt both while the external monitor is connected).

I'm also wondering if there is any particular reason why you are not using the Intel Graphics control panel to select the appropriate video mode?

Regards,

Ronald M.

0 Kudos
MGeht
Beginner

I'll try and do that asap. I mentioned before why I'm not using the Intel Utility, it's making a black screen at 1920x1080 at 60hz.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, Borthan.

I would like to know if you could generate the reports requested by Ronald?

Antony S.
0 Kudos