Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Intel UHD 620 issue with Youtube 4K@60Hz HDR

idata
Employee

Hello community,

I have an Intel NUC7i7DNHE (i7-8650U + UHD 620) and I am facing issues (chop&slowdown) playing titles in Youtube 4K@60Hz with HDR mode active in Windows. I think is related to VP9 Codec, no issues with HEVC Codec on local files. Pending to test it with Local files with VP9.

In here a video example where I can reproduce the issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVvEISFw9w0 Morocco 8K HDR 60FPS (FUHD) - YouTube

I need to remark that the issue is appearing under video 2160p60 quality (below that is not present) and only when I have HDR mode toggle activated on Windows 10.

I have latest Intel Graphics drivers 24.20.100.6194, and latest Windows 10 (1803).

Best regards

0 Kudos
14 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello JaimeFdezCaro: We will be more than glad to assist you with this scenario.

I will try to replicate the issue in our lab in order to confirm if I get the same results you are describing. As soon as I get any updates I will post all the details on this thread.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto R
idata
Employee

Hello JaimeFdezCaro: I tried to replicate the issue using 3 different Intel graphics controllers and the problem was not replicated. There is no chop slowdown or lagging when playing the video, the entire video works fine without getting freeze or showing any delay. In this case, the problem is not related to the Intel graphics driver, could be related to the cable you are using, make sure that is HDMI 2.0, could be related to the SSD/Hard drive or even the memory RAM.

The following is the list of hardware/software that I used to try to replicate this scenario:

NUC Model: NUC7i5BNK

Processor: i5-7260U

Graphics controller: Intel® Iris™ Plus Graphics 640

Graphics driver version: 24.20.100.6194

TV: LG 55UH8500

HDR mode activated

HDMI straight cable connection

SSD Model: Intel SSDSCKGW080A4

Memory RAM:

Crucial CT4G4SFS8213.C8FDD2

4GB DDR4-2133MHz 1.2V

Operating system: Windows 10

NUC Model: NUC6i7KYK

Processor: i7-6770HQ

Graphics controller: Intel® Iris™ Pro Graphics 580

HDR mode activated

SSD Model: Intel SSDSCKGW080A4

Memory RAM:

Kingston KVR21SE15S8/4

4GB DDR4-2133MHz 1.2V

NUC Model: NUC7i5DNHE

Processor: i5-7300U

Graphics controller: Intel® HD Graphics 620

HDR mode activated

SSD Model: Crucial CT120M5000SSD1

Memory RAM:

Crucial CT4G4SFS8213.C8FDD2

4GB DDR4-2133MHz 1.2V

There is a new Intel graphics driver available in our web site, version 24.20.100.6229, we can always try to install that version to try to resolve the problem:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27894/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10%3Fproduct%3D126789 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27894/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10?product=126789

Regards,

Alberto
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks for your test but none of them is my specific NUC. You need to consider that my NUC has 2x HDMI outputs also.

I am not at home until next week but I will do some extra tests because I am connecting it to my TV through a Soundbar, I will do a direct connection and will test both HDMI outputs and new drivers.

Regards

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

JaimeFdezCaro: You are very welcome. Perfect, thank you vey much for letting us know that information, take your time, once you get the chance please let us know the results.

Regards,

Alberto R
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Alberto,

Sorry to say, is not working yet, my configurations:

NUC Model: NUC7i7DNHE

Processor: i7-8650U

Graphics controller: Intel® UHD Graphics 620

Graphics driver version: 24.20.100.6229

TV: SAMSUNG UE55MU7005

HDR mode activated

SSD Model: SAMSUNG SSD 970 EVO 500GB

Memory RAM: 2x Crucial CT8G4SFD824A (8GB DDR4, 2400 MT/s, PC4-19200, DR)

Operating system: Windows 10 (1803)

I tested a HDMI straight cable connection to TV but also HDMI through LG SJ9 Soundbar. Same issue in both cases. I also tested two HDMIs connections at time with extended desktop-monitor configuration. Tested differnent cables. Issue still persists.

I have updated also to latest NUC BIOS available (0052) but no luck.

The issue still persists whenever I active HDR mode in Windows and then I try to play 4K@60hz@bt.2020 youtube content. I have a massive frame drops. Look at attached image for reference (looks ugly but it is because of the snipping tool not working good with HDR).

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello JaimeFdezCaro: We are sorry to hear the problem persists.

We wil do further research on this matter, in order for us to be able to do that, please provide the information requested on the following link:

/message/319025# 319025 https://communities.intel.com/message/319025

Regards,

Alberto R
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Category

Questions

Answers (N/A if not applicable)

Description

Provide a detailed description of the issue

Youtube 4K@60hz@HDR(bt2020) is droping frames massively (about 75% loss)

Please place an X to the right of the option showing how often you see this issue using specific steps. (Ex: 'Every few times a game is started it flickers.' <- This would be "Often")<p> 

Always (100%): X

Often (51-99%):

Sporadic (20-50%):

Very Sporadic (<20%):

Hardware (HW)

Brand and Model of the system.

Intel NUC7i7DNHE

Hybrid or switchable graphics system?

ie Does it have AMD or NV graphics too?

Integrated graphics (Intel UHD 620)

Make and model of any Displays that are used to see the issue (see note2 below). 

LFP = Local Flat Panel (Laptop panel)

<strong style="font-style: inherit; font-family: intel-clear, arial, helvetica, 'helvetica ne...
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

JaimeFdezCaro: Thank you very much for sharing that information.

We will do further research on this matter, as soon as I get nay updates I will post all the details on this thread.

Regards,

Alberto R
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Alberto,

Any feedback already?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Ronny_G_Intel
Community Manager

Hi jerryn,

See the images attached, I tried to duplicate the issue that you are reporting but it worked well for me, of course my connection speed is not as fast as yours and I have some buffering issues.

Please see the screens and let me know your comments, I am using the exact same NUC with latest firmware (including https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27315/NUCs-HDMI-Firmware-Update-Tool-for-Intel-NUC-Kit-NUC7i3DN-NUC7i5DN-NUC7i7DN%3Fproduct%3D122488 Download HDMI Firmware Update Tool for Intel® NUC Kit NUC7i3DN, NUC7i5DN, NUC7i7DN ) and software.

Regards,

Ronny G

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Let me check today when I arrive home, if my HDMI Firmware is latest level, but I think it is.

In other hand, in your Tests pics, I can see you are not activating HDR, space color is BT709, instead of BT2020. In my case, with space color BT709 I do not have any issues at all. So, try activating HDR and assure it checking that space color is BT2020.

Regards

0 Kudos
Ronny_G_Intel
Community Manager

I forgot to mention: have you tried with different browsers? do you experience the same issue running a local file?

There are multiple reports of this issue with different systems (not specific to NUC) most of them point to HDR issues, HDMI versions, codecs and many more. I found this one interesting: http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3584408/hdr-60fps-youtube-crazy-frame-drops.html 4K+HDR @ 60fps Youtube crazy frame drops - Systems

Please let know if any of this helps.

Regards,

Ronny G

idata
Employee

I have just tried MS Edge browser and seems to work perfectly

I have also download a VP9 HDR 4K 60Hz video and:

- No issues at all with "Movies and TV" windows integrated player.

- Issues with VLC 3.0 --> but seems to be almost fixed on VLC 4.x nightlies.

So seems that the issue at this point is not due to Intel Drivers but due to Chrome browser.

Regards

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

JaimeFdezCaro: Thank you very much for letting us know those results.

Yes, based on your findings, the problem could be related to the chrome browser. In this case what we recommend is to get in contact with their support department to verify if they might have further suggestions for this scenario:

https://support.google.com/chrome/?hl=en# topic=7438008

Regards,

Alberto R
0 Kudos