Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14403 Discussions

i5 8600k fails CPUFreq, PCH and SPBC in Intel Processor Diagnostic Tools

HZorn
Beginner

I just built a new desktop, and I have been getting some strange stuttering occasionally. It affects my audio, mouse and overall performance but I don't know how to trigger it. When running games, the frame-rates are much lower than what I was getting with my old i5 3570k desktop.

I still cannot find the cause for this. So, in desperation, I ran the Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool, these are the results:

--- IPDT64 - Revision: 4.1.0.29

--- IPDT64 - Start Time: 11/08/2018 10:10:03 PM

----------------------------------------------

-- Testing

CPU 1 - Genuine Intel - Pass.

CPU 1 - BrandString - Pass.

CPU 1 - Cache - Pass.

CPU 1 - MMXSSE - Pass.

CPU 1 - IMC - Pass.

CPU 1 - Prime Number - Pass.

CPU 1 - Floating Point - Pass.

CPU 1 - Math - Pass.

CPU 1 - GPUStressW - Pass.

CPU 1 - CPULoad - Pass.

CPU 1 - CPUFreq - Fail.

CPU 1 - PCH - Fail.

CPU 1 - SPBC - Fail.

IPDT64 Failed

--- IPDT64 - Revision: 4.1.0.29

--- IPDT64 - End Time: 11/08/2018 10:13:55 PM

FAIL

I have tried uninstalling it, re-downloading it and installing it again, and of course, I have been running it as Administrator. Can someone make sense of this?

--- CPU Frequency Test ---

Version 1.0.20.64b.W

Expected CPU Frequency is -- 3.60

..WinRing0 encountered a problem loading windows driver..

..ensure app is executed with administrator privileges..

--- Platform Controller Hub Test ---

Version 1.0.15.64b.W

..WinRing0 encountered a problem loading windows driver..

..ensure app is executed with administrator privileges..

--- IntelR spbc Module Test --

Version 1.0.10.64b.W

..Retrieved Processor Manufacturer

GenuineIntel

..Retrieved Processor Brand String

IntelR CoreTM i5-8600K CPU 3.60GHz

..spbc encountered a problem loading windows driver..

..ensure spbc.exe is executed with administrator privileges..

0 Kudos
7 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

First of all, in future, please refrain from cutting & pasting content into your posts. Very large posts can make them much more difficult to process. There is a capability for attaching files to your posts; please use it. If you aren't seeing a button for attaching files offered in the lower right-hand corner of the edit window, click on the Use Advanced Editor button in the upper right-hand corner of this window.

Regarding your issue, we need more information about your system. Please download and run this utility and attach the results file to a subsequent post: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility Download Intel® System Support Utility for Windows*

...S

0 Kudos
HZorn
Beginner

Hi there,

Sorry about that. I just attached any information I thought would be applicable to save anyone having to sift through the results file, but can completely understand where you are coming from.

As requested, I have attached the results from the System Support Utility to this post.

Thanks and apologies again.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

You didn't know, so no apology necessary.

Well, I am not seeing anything obvious in the results, so I have no pearls of wisdom to help you. One of the intel Customer Support Engineers will take over and look into your issue...

...S

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Harleh,

Thank you for your response.

Upon review of the information I would like to first know if you have tried running the Intel ® Processor Diagnostic Tool as administrator? You can do so by right-clicking on the icon of the program and selecting the option that says "Run as administrator". Once it opens as administrator, try to run the diagnostic again and post the results here.

Make sure to paste them in a text file and attach the text file to the thread.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Harleh,

I am following up with your case and see that we have not heard back from you.

Were you able to run the program as administrator?

If you need more assistance do not hesitate to reply.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
SPome
Beginner

I'm also interested to know whether a solution was found. I'm getting the same fail message on my i5 6600..

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

nvader88: Please submit your inquiry on a new thread, the reason for this is that every scenario is different even if the same product is being used, so for us to better assist you and in order to try to fix the problem, please submit a new thread:

https://communities.intel.com/community/tech/discontinued-products https://communities.intel.com/community/tech/discontinued-products

Let me apologize for any inconvenience.

Regards,

Alberto R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos