Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14507 Discussions

Purchased Intel® Core™ i7-3940XM QS, how do I tell its a QS or ES?

SVold
Beginner

I bought the this specific processor back in 2014 Q4 from eBay retailer elec_home because no retailers in my country would sell me it, it was marked as QS.

But first now I learn what EQ, QS and ES means and turns out I got the Engineering Sample or a Qualification Sample but I am not sure:

I am not sure what to do its been over 260 days since I purchased it, I feel like a real imbecile, I always been careful when buying on the internet often spending hours researching to find the best deals, looks like this tiny detail came to bite me in the a** real good.

I asked a a couple of people on different forums and many tells me ES/QS are not supposed to be sold and according to Information About Intel Engineering/Qualification Sample Processors these processors are only loaned so I did contact the seller and he ensures me its a QS and not an ES because an ES would apparently not display its name in the CPU-Z software, I have no idea whether this is true or not.

I got all receipts stored for the purchase even original shipping box, so far I have not had much of an issue with the ES or QS sample at least not that I know of.

As far as performance goes it scores a 78 points difference compared to the results on PassMark: http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i7-3940XM+%40+3.00GHz PassMark - Intel Core i7-3940XM @ 3.00GHz - Price performance comparison

When I first ran it, it had something like 500 points difference, maybe it was cold and just needed a bit of warm-up, or its a sign of instability, but it functions fine, the temperatures are good, 29 - 105 standard with average 35 on idle and 60 - 70 on load to 105 after an entire day of rendering multiple 4k videos.

Here is an image of the actual processor inside my Clevo P150EM:

Kind regards

Edited 25.07.2015

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Ricardo_G_Intel1
Employee

Did you contact the place of purchase?

0 Kudos
SVold
Beginner

Okay seems like I have gotten things mixed up here, apparently according to many sellers in China a QS would display its name in CPU-Z whereas an actual Engineering Sample would show none.

I am not sure if this is true or not I cannot exactly relay on this guy I wonder if you people at Intel know anything about this, I know ES and QS are not supposed to be sold in the first place but I really have no idea about these kind of things.

0 Kudos
Ricardo_G_Intel1
Employee

By looking the Qspec code QCH8 you have an Engineering Sample or a Qualification Sample. For better understanding please check the link below

http://www.intel.com/support/processors/sb/CS-030747.htm http://www.intel.com/support/processors/sb/CS-030747.htm

If you have additional questions or concerns, please contact Intel Corporate Security Investigations. the contact information is in the same link.

0 Kudos