Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14526 Discussions

intel core 2 quad Q8300 power equation

JSEO9
Beginner

HI

I wanted to calculate heating value(Q) cpu Q8300 and I found formula about cpu power dissipation from intel cpu manual.

p=cv^2f

(where, p=power, c=capacitance, v=voltage, f=frequency)

formula is good but I had not capacitace value. (v and f values got from CPUID program.)

Can I get capacitance value from intel official value?

Actually I was calcuate c(capacitance) value already like this c=p/(v^2*f)

p=95w(TDP), f=2.5GHz, v=1.3625 I insert this values at max values so I got (c=20.5*10^-9 F)

this calcuate is correct? I hope so but I think it is incorrect. that's why I am asking you guys!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

Hellon Jinwon,

Note that processor "capacitance" is not something we specify or something that is constant from part to part.

In general, you can use the equation P=C*V*V*f to determine what the processor's "dynamic capacitance" (Cdyn) once you've measured the power draw. "Cdyn" is workload dependent so it varies based on processor load. (in the equation, P=Power draw, C= Capacitance, V=VID,f= frequency).

Regards,

Amy.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Esteban_V_Intel
Employee

Let me investigate a little bit further on this and I get back to you as soon as possible.

Regards,

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

Hellon Jinwon,

Note that processor "capacitance" is not something we specify or something that is constant from part to part.

In general, you can use the equation P=C*V*V*f to determine what the processor's "dynamic capacitance" (Cdyn) once you've measured the power draw. "Cdyn" is workload dependent so it varies based on processor load. (in the equation, P=Power draw, C= Capacitance, V=VID,f= frequency).

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos