Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20628 Discussions

1600 x 1200 @ 85Hz on VGA "exceeds the maximum bandwidth capacity"?

SRand
Beginner

Dear Great Knowledgeable Ones,

I have a peculiar issue attempting to run an external CRT monitor on VGA at 1600x1200@85Hz with an integrated HD4200 on Win8.1 x64. The monitor's capabilities appear to be correctly recognised but Windows will not countenance running it higher than 1280x1024. Having (eventually) found the Intel custom resolutions programme I can now force 1440x1050@75Hz or 1600x1200@60Hz (the latter obviously unworkable on a CRT) perfectly happily, but attempting to enter 1600x1200 @ 85Hz or 75Hz generates the error "The custom resolution exceeds the maximum bandwidth capacity."

This is obviously strange since not only was this perfectly normal circa 18 years ago, but this also worked fine on an older laptop with win7 x64 and i5 3210M (with Intel graphics). I do not know where to look to find out what is bandwidth-limited and why, and it would be odd if newer graphics processors couldn't cope with this. Nothing in the specifications on Toshiba's website warns of it that I could find; indeed, the only thing Toshiba says about VGA is that there is one - a clear slur to the quite literally billions of us running 15 year old monitors on a daily basis.

Sadly I cannot revert to using my old laptop since it was lost when some friendly recent arrivals from overseas accidentally entered through the window of my flat, obviously believing it to be their own, and accidentally picked up my laptop on the way out when I asked of their intentions. Clearly the incident was so mortally embarrassing that they couldn't face returning it, hence the short upgrade cycle and therefore why I would like this to work.

Many thanks,

Simon

Details:

...and before you ask, those drivers are the newest that Toshiba has on their website and Windows didn't want to update anything when attempting to install drivers from a .zip as per here:

http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-033916.htm Desktop graphics drivers — How to Manually Install a Driver in Microsoft Windows 8* or Windows 8.1*

Old laptop: Toshiba Satellite Pro L850-1DV, Core i5 3210M

New laptop: Toshiba Satellite C55-A-1N4, Core i5 4200M

Monitor: Mitsubishi Diamond Plus 220

Displays are set to extended, 1366x768@60Hz inbuilt LCD, 1440x1050@75Hz CRT.

Intel driver information:

Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600

0 Kudos
6 Replies
BP5
New Contributor I

It's certainly an artificial limit and not one imposed by any actual hardware shortcoming, similar situation on i7 HD 4400 integrated

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Please allow us more time to take a look into this.

0 Kudos
jsust
Beginner

Hi, so has this been looked into or will this remain unsolved? I too have a CRT monitor than can output 1600x1200@85hz on any other VGA connection but not through my laptop's Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 VGA connection due to the "exceeds the maximum bandwidth capacity" error.

0 Kudos
JTerr5
Novice

It will remain unsolved because Intel, for whatever reason, sets these fake, artificial limits on OUR OWN hardware. It's ludicrous! I have a monitor that can have 144hz, yet intel is telling me it can only run at 60hz LOL. I plug it into my desktop and I get 144hz. But on my laptop, 60hz. LOL! It's really a huge joke, Intel is just a horrible company.

Intel: You need to REMOVE this error message. If I want to set my refresh rate to 120, THEN LET ME. If it doesn't work, then I'm obviously going to set it back to a setting that works. GET YOUR SHIT TOGETHER!

0 Kudos
jsust
Beginner

This question is Not Answered.

Any progress on this issue? We have been waiting diligently

0 Kudos
ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

All,,

Our Haswell HW , Max Pixel Clock (MPC) Supported on VGA is 185Mhz.

Which means it is not possible get 1600 x 1200 85Hz / 75 Hz on Analog VGA port.

Reason:

To get 1600 x 1200 @ 85 GTF Timing – 234Mhz MPC is required

To get 1600 x 1200 @ 85 CVT Timing – 186Mhz MPC is required

To get 1600 x 1200 @ 75 GTF Timing – 205Mhz MPC is required

Possible option would be to use an HDMI or DP to VGA Active Convertor which would support higher resolution.

Thanks

Robert

0 Kudos