Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20634 Discussions

Windows 8.1 not recognising external display hd4000

SPook
Beginner

About a month ago Windows did an update and my external monitor stopped working. No luck with a TV connection either.

By reverting to a previous driver it started working again. A week later it stopped. I updated to the latest driver (via device manager) and it worked again.

For the next week or so whenever it stopped working I would have to toggle between these two drivers:

10.18.10.3621 (16/may/14)

and

9.17.10.2857 (13/sep/12)

However after another update a few days ago the toggling trick doesn't work either and I can now no longer use an external display.

I have called Samsung who wanted me to do a reinstall (they weren't bothered about solving the issue). Eventually they directed me to a graphics driver. 200mb later it was for AMD!

I struggle to find any drivers on the Intel site that are for windows 8.1 HD4000 other than the ones that say Intel Iris. I try to install it and this error pops up - this is not compatible with your device (you know the one).

So my only driver options are the two noted above, plus this one I found through Samsung Update - 9.17.10.2768

None of them work and this is very frustrating.

I have noted a lot of people losing external display ability with Windows 8.1 updates but unlike them I am not able to browse through a nice selection of drivers to try and resolve the issue.

Can you help Intel?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Hi DingoBingo, I have included two different driver versions below and the instructions for manual driver installation.

http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-033916.htm Desktop graphics drivers — How to Manually Install a Driver in Microsoft Windows 8* or Windows 8.1*

Such repetitive behavior makes me wonder if the cause of the problem lies somewhere else. We have to consider that this might not be a driver issue and since you tested two displays I recommend trying with another straight-thru cable (and avoid converters or adapters if possible). There may also be a chance for this is to be hardware related.

0 Kudos
SPook
Beginner

"I struggle to find any drivers on the Intel site that are for windows 8.1 HD4000 other than the ones that say Intel Iris. I try to install it and this error pops up - this is not compatible with your device (you know the one)."

I have tried both of these drivers and I get an error saying they are not compatible.

What is a 'straight-thru' cable?

Thanks in advance.

FYI it is temporarily working again. This time I had to first do a driver uninstall. Windows then seems to have reinstalled the driver within one minute without me needing to do anything or restart. My external display just popped back to life (you hear that sound Windows makes when you've just plugged something in to a UDB or HDMI port).

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee
What is a 'straight-thru' cable?

I meant a direct cable with the same type of ports at both ends. Avoid something like VGA to HDMI or similar.

In case the issue persists you can contact the http://www.intel.com/support/oems.htm system manufacturer for assistance as the port itself may be malfunctioning.

0 Kudos