Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20621 Discussions

Is there a diagnostic tool to analyze why installation of Intel HD 4600 graphics driver failed?

LAnde10
Novice

Hi,

I've this recurring problem with Intel HD 4600 graphics driver, specifically win32_153322.exe (version: 15.33.22.3621)

I've been unable to install it for the past one month now.

Is there a log or diagnostic tool to analyze why the installation failed?

My desktop system is:

Intel i5-4570 Haswell CPU

Asus H87-PRO mainboard/motherboard/system board

16 GB RAM (Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600 MHz, non-ECC)

Dell U2312HM Full HD monitor (connected to mainboard/system board/motherboard using DVI-cable supplied by Dell)

0 Kudos
8 Replies
ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

Hi Laurie, What specific error are you getting when you try to install the driver? What operating system and version are you running? What other drivers have installed? Have you checked the ASUS support site for the latest BIOS? Have you tried the drivers posted on the ASUS support site?

Thanks

Robert

0 Kudos
LAnde10
Novice

Hi Robert,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

Please find below my answers to your questions:

1. After clicking win32_153322.exe and "Yes" to the license agreement, the installation process started with installing the "Display Audio Driver". It went fine. Next the installation process tried to install "Display Video Driver". That was when my Dell monitor went blank (instead of flickering for a few moments such as when one tries to install display drivers when using an Nvidia or ATI graphics cards). it seemed that the installation process put my monitor into a state of hibernation or suspension (The message on my Dell monitor read "Entering Power Save mode" for a few seconds before disappearing.)

2. I've tried installing the said driver under Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate with SP1 and Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro. Both are 64-bit versions with the latest updates/fixes applied.

3. The other drivers that are installed on my system are:

Intel Chipset Device Software v10.0.13.0.exe (downloaded from Intel website)

Management Engine Interface V9.5.15.1730 (downloaded from Asus website)

Intel(R)_USB_3.0_eXtensible_Host_Controller_Driver (for Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate only) (latest version downloaded from Intel website)

Realtek Audio Driver V6.0.1.7071 (downloaded from Asus website)

Realtek_LAN_V7854252014_Win7_V8314232014_Win8.zip (downloaded from Asus website)

Marvell SATA 6G Driver V1.2.0.1039 (downloaded from Asus website)

4. I flashed my mainboard/system board/motherboard with the latest BIOS downloaded from Asus website.

5. Yes, I had tried to install the video driver from Asus website and my monitor had encountered the same problem described in paragraph (1) above. That was why I tried the latest video driver from Intel, which is win32_153322.exe.

Robert, do you think this issue of mine is related to the issues described in ( ) ?

Is there a diagnostic tool to help Intel analyze the reasons why win32_153322.exe failed to install or work properly on my machine?

Regards.

Laurie

0 Kudos
ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

Hi Laurie

There is no specific tool or application to test the installation of the Intel HD Graphics driver. Do you have access to a Display Port cable or a VGA cable that you could try the connection to the display with?

Thanks

Robert

0 Kudos
LAnde10
Novice

Hi Robert,

Thanks for your reply.

OK, I replaced the DVI-cable with a Dell-supplied VGA cable. I got the same result: unable to proceed with the installation of win32_153322.exe (version: 15.33.22.3621). This time (using the VGA cable) was worse: there was no message on my monitor stating "Entering Power Save mode". The screen was a total black.

Could you feedback to the Intel Graphics developers to ask them to come up with a diagnostic tool to deal with installation and performance issues? There is a post that deals with performance issues and a really good diagnostic tool would go a long way to helping both Intel and their customers to solving problems.

Regards.

Laurie

0 Kudos
ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee
0 Kudos
LAnde10
Novice

Hi Robert

Thanks for the reply.

No, I don't have access to a secondary display to test win32_153322.exe (version: 15.33.22.3621).

But I did download the 64-bit version of GFX_Win7_8_8.1_64_10.18.10.3910.zip, extracted the contents and run Setup.exe. There were no problems/issues with the installation of the graphics driver. Everything went smoothly and there wasn't the BSOD (Black Screen of Death). My Dell monitor didn't display the message "Entering Power Save mode" either.

I'm typing this message using the display driver whose download link you specified in your reply.

However based on past experience with installing Intel HD 4600 graphics drivers, I'm not overly optimistic. I remember that the installation of win32_153322.exe (version: 15.33.22.3621) after it was officially released appeared to fix my monitor/display's "Entering Power Save mode" issue. The 15.33.22.3621 driver worked for a month or so and then one day, when my computer was booting into Microsoft Windows OS, my monitor refused to display anything. I had to manually uninstall the 15.33.22.3621 driver after booting Microsoft Windows OS into safe mode.

Summary: the 64-bit version of GFX_Win7_8_8.1_64_10.18.10.3910.zip seems to work fine with my display right now. I shall feedback any problems to you here. It may be days, weeks or a month or two. Hence I'd appreciate it if you don't close this thread yet.

Regards.

Laurie

P.S.: In case anyone needs to verify the file integrity of the 64-bit version of GFX_Win7_8_8.1_64_10.18.10.3910.zip, here's the SHA256 hashsum: 11c358c72e8a5d4c2fc5494aec7cf1a641c7f2b7408d940e7b9acfb1a3609b63

0 Kudos
ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

@ Laurie, thanks for the update. Please PM me directly if your issue returns.

Thanks

Robert

0 Kudos
OLewi
Beginner

Hi, did you install manually or by software? Personally, I would not recommend to install and update drivers manually. Reasons are as follows:

manually updating drivers can be dangerous if you are an illiterate on compter knowledge. And it is complicated and troublseome to install and update drivers one by one manually. Worse still, if you do not match the driver to your exact system specifications, the computer may freeze up, get errors, blue screens, and all kinds of nasty things.

There are a lot of driver update software if you search on google, some are paid and some are free, but they nearly do the same thing in terms of installing and updating device drivers. I used DriveTheLife before so I will list something I know about it: it is totally free, safe, and clean, easy-to-use and effective on udpating drivers. Besides, it will display all driver problems, you can easily fix these problems with a few mouse clicks. It also allows you to backup, restore and uninstall drivers and all is free done.

You can get it from google by searching its name DriveTheLife. Just have a try if needed.

0 Kudos