Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14405 Discussions

Is temp1 too high? Is the laptop overheating?

RMcgi1
Beginner

I have a TOSHIBA L25 S1216 laptop that is about 8 1/2 years old (Processor and Chipset: Intel® Celeron® M Processor 380, 1.60GHz, 1MB L2, 400MHz FSB,ATI RADEON® XPRESS 200M Chipset). It had never been cleaned and was overheating and shutting off without warning. A temperature called Temp1 that I measured in both Windows XP and Lubuntu (Linux) was running about 72-75 degrees Centigrade with a low load on the CPU, sometimes it got up to 90 C.

I took the PC apart, cleaned out the dust in the fan, lubricated the fan and put new thermal paste (Artic Silver Ceramique2) between the CPU and other chips and the heat sink. It definitely seems to be running cooler now, temp1 is only getting up to about 55 C now. But I am still concerned that temp1 is too high for the following reasons. I've been watching my temp1. With the CPU in "idle" temp1 varies between about 51C and 55C. When temp1 gets up to about 54 or 55C, the fan comes on briefly for about 108 seconds. Then temp1 drops down to about 51C, the fan shuts off for about 24 seconds, the temp slowly goes up to 54 or 55 C and the cycle repeats. It does this in both Windows XP and in Ubuntu.

Using Speedfan 4.49 in Windows XP, when I first turn on the PC, temp1 is about 40C and rated OK. After some time temp1 slowly starts to rise. Temp1s of 41C to 49C are rated with a red arrow pointing upward. Temp1s 50 up to 55 are rated with a little red flame beside it. Since this Speedfan rates these temps high with a flame, I am concerned. Perhaps temp1 is still too high.

Regarding the meaning of temp1, temp1 seems to be associated with "sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0" in the app "Temperature Monitor" in Ubuntu and in Ubuntu in the app "lm-sensors" I get this typical output:

acpitz-virtual-0

Adapter: Virtual device

temp1: +51.0°C (crit = +110.0°C)

QUESTION(S): Is temp1 still too high? Is the laptop still overheating?

Thanks,

Bob
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Hello Bob, I'm sorry for the inconvenience that you have faced with your laptop.

According to ARK.intel.com, the T-junction of this processor is around the 100 °C, anything from this temperature and below will be the expected temperature of the processor in normal use.

When the processor is stressed out meaning that you are running heavy processor applications that take control of the CPU or uses it at 100% the temperature will go beyond the Tcase.

The following link will provide more information about this http://www.intel.com/support/processors/sb/CS-033342.htm Processors — Processor operation temperature FAQ

You can also run the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool. http://www.intel.com/support/processors/sb/CS-031726.htm Processors — What is the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool?

Some other recommendation I can give is to check if you system needs a BIOS update.

Regards,

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Hello Bob, I'm sorry for the inconvenience that you have faced with your laptop.

According to ARK.intel.com, the T-junction of this processor is around the 100 °C, anything from this temperature and below will be the expected temperature of the processor in normal use.

When the processor is stressed out meaning that you are running heavy processor applications that take control of the CPU or uses it at 100% the temperature will go beyond the Tcase.

The following link will provide more information about this http://www.intel.com/support/processors/sb/CS-033342.htm Processors — Processor operation temperature FAQ

You can also run the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool. http://www.intel.com/support/processors/sb/CS-031726.htm Processors — What is the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool?

Some other recommendation I can give is to check if you system needs a BIOS update.

Regards,

0 Kudos
RMcgi1
Beginner

Thanks Sylvia,

I will try the Intel Processor Diagnostics Tool. How would I find out about a BIOS update? Would such an update be available form Toshiba?

Bob

0 Kudos
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

That is correct Bob, the BIOS update needs to be provide by Toshiba.

0 Kudos
RMcgi1
Beginner

Sylvia,

I figured that Toshiba would have the BIOS update for my situation. I did some looking around and it looks like Intel does a lot with various kinds of boards (e.g., motherboards) in desktops, but less for laptops and mobile devices.

One question: I downloaded the IPDT (Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool) and ran it in Windows XP and everything was OK, except for the temperature test which was marked as failed. Since the IPDT undoubtedly knows which Intel processor I am using, it sounds like there may still be a problem even though my temp1s of 50 to 56 C are significantly less than the T-junction for this processor (Celeron M Processor 380 1.6GHz, 1 MB L2, 400 MHz FSB) of around the 100 °C cited at ARK.intel.com. Do you have any comments on the failure of the temperature test in IPDT?

Thanks,

Bob

0 Kudos
RMcgi1
Beginner

Sylvia,

Actual results from the IPDT test are below under my name. Under the Temperature Test it says:

"--- Temperature Test ---

Executing Temperature ...

Temperature not supported."

So it may be that no actual Temperature Test was done, rather than a high temperature being detected and reported by IPDT. Any comments you have on the IPDT results under my name will be welcomed.

Thanks,

Bob

IPDT Results:

--- IPDT - rev 2.8.0.0 ---

--- Start Time: 08/26/2014 19:20:44---

--- Skipping Config ---

--- Reading CPU Manufacturer ---

Expected --> GenuineIntel

Detected --> GenuineIntel

Found --- Genuine Intel Processor ---

--- Temperature Test ---

Executing Temperature ...

Temperature not supported.

--- Reading Brand String ---

Detected Brand String:

Intel Celeron M 1.60GHz

Brand String Test Passed!!!

--- Reading CPU Frequency ---

Expected CPU Frequency is --> 1.60

Detecting CPU Frequency : ... - \ | / - \ | / - \

Detected CPU Frequency is --> 1.59959

CPU Frequency Test Passed!!!

--- Reading FSB ---

Expected FSB : --> 1067

Detected FSB : --> 1067

CPU FSB Test Passed!!!

--- Running Base Clock test ---

This CPU does not support base clock test

Base Clock Test Stop.

--- Running Floating Point test ---

MFLOPS CycleRun CycleVerified Error Time(sec)

Million Floating Points per Second, MFLOPS --> 144

Error --> 0

Floating Point Test Pass---

--- Running Prime Number Generation Test ---

Ops Per Sec CycleRun CycleVerified Error Time(sec)

Operation Per Second --> 332289.5

Error --> 0

Prime Number Generation Test Pass---

--- Reading Cache Size ---

Cache test not supported on this model processor.

--- Determining MMX - SSE capabilities ---

0 Kudos
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Bob, you may need to replace you processor. Please contact Toshiba since this is an OEM system.

0 Kudos