Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20492 Discussions

Frequent Crashes with Graphics Driver on new ThinkPad Laptop

LGilb
Beginner

I'm running an up-to-date version of Windows 8.1 on a new ThinkPad laptop (i7-4600U, 12GB ram, 64bit), with dual monitors out of a docking station (vga and dvi). Using Cygwin, chrome, Visual Studio, outlook, Lync most of the time. Have captured a couple dumps from crashes if anyone can help diagnose...

0 Kudos
6 Replies
ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

Hi Leo

Is the Intel HD graphics driver the one shipped with the system or did you update with the generic Intel HD Graphics driver from Intel Download Center? Do you see the crashes if Cygwin is not installed on the system?

Thanks

Robert

0 Kudos
LGilb
Beginner

I have been using Cygwin from the beginning, and have not had any problem with it on various other Windows machines in the past. It is almost a requirement that I use it. It's really just a unix emulator/shell for navigating and editing my files, not much more graphically than the standard Windows terminal program.

I have not downloaded anything from the Intel download center, but I have hit the "Update Driver" button on the dialogue window I attached, and supposedly I am running the latest. Is the version listed in the dialogue not the latest?

Thanks,

Leo

0 Kudos
LGilb
Beginner

Just checked the site--there was a driver with a date one day later, but the same version number; installed it anyways but with the same version number I don't believe it is actually different...

0 Kudos
LGilb
Beginner

Thanks! I'll try that now

0 Kudos
LGilb
Beginner

I won't really know if this fixes things without a stable period of a week or so. I'll update at that point, or (hopefully not) sooner if the crashes continue. Thanks again.

Leo

0 Kudos