Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

fn Brightness Key dosent work for latest version of intel HD driver

ADela4
Novice

Hello eveyone.

I have a annoying problem in latest version of intel HD 520 driver for WIN10 64 bit (OS has latest updates and many other devices).

My laptop is ASUS K501UX and when i Updated my driver to latest version [ 15.65.4.4944 ] The (fn Brightness Key) disabled suddenly but other fn keys working correctly. before this update everything is OK and Brightness key worked correctly.

So, clearly results & logic shows that this problem is from latest version of intel driver that i mentioned above. not from my laptop, OS or other devices.

Please fix this problem that may annoying many people in the world that has same issue but dont talking about it at this forum.

thanks

intel_corpMartyG

45 Replies
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

I am not an employee of Intel and so are not in a position to affect their drivers. I did though find a guide that suggested the following process for fixing the brightness function key:

1. Go to Device Manager > Monitors > Generic PnP Monitor

2. Right-click on.'Generic Pnp Monitor. If the menu says 'Enable' - meaning that this monitor setting, and thus the brightness function key, is disabled - then click on Enable.

0 Kudos
VStra1
Novice

Hi.

I have exactly same issue with Asus UX501VW, with Intel HD Graphics 530.

The issue still exist in latest 15.64.5.4982 driver.

Brightness can be changed in Mobility Center, or in display settings, so it's not about inability to change brightness at all.

It's just Fn+F5/F6 doesn't work, like reassigned to something else, or completely ignored.

"Solutions" like 'reinstall ATK' or 'Enable Generic PnP Monitor' won't help.

0 Kudos
Stefan3D
Honored Contributor II
0 Kudos
VStra1
Novice

Tried newer ATK 1.0.0057 (vs existing 1.0.0050), it didn't help.

All Fn- functions is working just as before with older ATK, and Fn+F5/F6 is not working.

0 Kudos
AAbba4
Beginner

Category

Questions

Answers (N/A if not applicable)

Description

Provide a detailed description of the issue

On my laptop the Fn + Brightness Up/Down keys (F9 & F8 respectively) do not change the screen brightness. The brightness can be changed in Windows settings apps or in the charms bar.

Please place an X to the right of the option showing how often you see this issue using specific steps. (Ex: 'Every few times a game is started it flickers.' <- This would be "Often")<p> 

Always (100%): X

Often (51-99%):

Sporadic (20-50%):

Very Sporadic (<20%):

Hardware (HW)

Brand and Model of the system.

Clevo P950HP6, i7 7700HQ

Hybrid or switchable graphics system?

ie Does it have AMD or NV graphics too?

It has switchable graphics: Intel HD 630 + Nvidia GTX 1060 (with Optimus)

<p style="margin-bottom: 0.0001pt; font-weight: inherit; font-styl...
    0 Kudos
    AAlon7
    Beginner

I have the same exact problem!

It is so annoying that I can't adjust brightness with fn keys.

My laptop: Asus Zenbook Pro UX501VW (i7-6700HQ, 530 HD)

0 Kudos
    Stefan3D
    Honored Contributor II

New driver 23.20.16.5018 from Microsoft available that everyone can try:

http://download.windowsupdate.com/c/msdownload/update/driver/drvs/2018/04/35206841-61a9-4f7e-bfbe-00d390ce5668_78bf7230cbe2e2f808129d289bc6d407b84f4036.cab

Install driver via have disk method as described at:

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-install-intel-beta-graphics-drivers-surface

(ignore prolog about MS surface, treat CAB like ZIP)

0 Kudos
    VStra1
    Novice

New driver 23.20.16.5018 from Microsoft available that everyone can try

Asus UX501VW, Intel HD Graphics 530, Windows 10 64-bit (10.0.16299)

Didn't help, the brightness keys are still not working after driver update

0 Kudos
    AAlon7
    Beginner
    0 Kudos
    idata
    Employee

Hello Mr.Brave,

Thank you for your response and I understand that you are currently experiencing issues with the "FN" brightness of your system.

First, I would like to start by letting you know that the FN or function key is added by the different system manufacturers and not by Intel ®. If this was a graphics problem then the solution would be to use the latest graphics driver from the system manufacturer.

Now, I say to use their driver because we supply generic versions of graphics drivers for general purposes. Computer manufacturers can change the features, incorporate customization, or make other changes to the graphics driver software or software packaging. To avoid potential installation incompatibilities, we recommend that you first check with your computer manufacturer and use the driver software provided.

I found the following support site with drivers:

https://www.asus.com/us/Laptops/K501UX/HelpDesk_Download/ https://www.asus.com/us/Laptops/K501UX/HelpDesk_Download/

* Please be aware that the content on that site is not controlled by Intel*. This information is offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel* for the merchants or services offered there. *

Please try that driver and then let us know if the problem persists, however, as mentioned, the FN key is added by the OEM so in this case I would also recommend to get in contact with Asus*.

Regards,

David V
    0 Kudos
    VStra1
    Novice

Yes, we understand that exact Fn+xxx is assigned by manufactures, and Intel has nothing to do with the keys.

But we had it working earlier, even if updated with generic driver.

Something has changed significantly starting somewhere around 15.60.2.49xx.

Rolling back to "Intel generic" 15.60.1.4877 driver restores functionality, even if it's not from manufacturer's site, which has even older driver from 2016.

0 Kudos
    BClev
    Beginner

While the brightness controls are added by ASUS, the software brightness controls within the Windows 10 Action Center also do not work, and thus the problem does not lie with the implementation of the physical brightness controls. This appears to be an issue with Windows 10. I don't believe it is strictly an issue with Intel drivers as there are some websites recommending to update nVidia or AMD drivers. I realize this is an old post ... just wanted to advise regarding the software controls not working either.

0 Kudos
    CRgt
    Beginner

Same issue here, asus too. We have a pattern I think...

0 Kudos
    idata
    Employee

Hi all,

Thank you for your patience,

I would like you to try the latest driver that has been released for the Intel ® HD Graphics 530 and also the Intel ® HD Graphics 520. Remember, this is a generic driver so I cannot guarantee that it will fix the problem with the function key.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27680/Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10?product=88345 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27680/Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10?product=88345

Regards,

David V
    0 Kudos
    VStra1
    Novice

Thanks for still monitoring this topic

Unfortunately, the latest 24.20.100.6025 driver still doesn't respond to Fn-brightness keys on Asus UX501VW with Intel ® HD Graphics 530.

Brightness could be changed in mobility center, but not with brightness keys.

0 Kudos
    DKhol1
    Beginner

It's not problem with asus ATK, I have removed asus ATK but brightness control work fine with old intel drivers(without Asus Hotkeys), I think hotkey for britghtnes work using Windows 10 and not ATK. So I think problem with Intel Drivers or Windows 10 1803. I tried to install new drivers(24.20.100.6094) but it's not help.

0 Kudos
    VL
    Novice

Generic drivers v4901 were working fine but since Windows 10 april update, they aren't working anymore. I was forced to update to a generic driver because Clevo didn't update them on their website. It's pretty annoying.

My computer :

Clevo W650KK/KJ1

Intel i5 7500

Intel HD Graphics 630

Please Intel, please work with them to provide a functional driver for our laptops and new Windows 10 update.

0 Kudos
    AHoub
    Beginner

I have the exact same problem. Reverting back to an old version of the driver worked for me, but then other apps started malfunctioning so I had to update the driver again.

Since the last windows update, fn keys with brightness aren't working anymore.

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 16299) (16299.rs3_release_svc_escrow_im.180415-0955)

System Manufacturer: BTO/Clevo

System Model: N15_N17RD1

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.6GHz

0 Kudos
    VL
    Novice

Latest Windows build seems to break some older driver versions so I was forced to upgrade it. Hope that Intel and Clevo will find some kind of solutions.

0 Kudos
    VStra1
    Novice

Just got windows feature update version 1803, so I tried also the latest Intel HD Graphics driver .6025 again.

Interestingly, after updating driver from zip (.exe installer complained it wasn't approved for this system), brightness keys were working until reboot.

After reboot they didn't work, so I had to roll back to older driver .4877.

0 Kudos