Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14402 Discussions

Slow download speed for Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265

FMass4
Beginner

Hi,

I have dramatic download speed on my wifi but very good upload speed on ASUS laptop UX461UA with Intel Dual Band Wireless AC 8265.

I attached intel report for more information and here is a speed test made online : http://www.speedtest.net/fr/result/7178836121 Flash Speedtest.net by Ookla - My Results

I thought at the beginning that this was a hardware issue but I already change one time the laptop...

Can you help me to solve this download speed issue ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
25 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello fmassot,

Thanks for posting.

It seems you're using the wireless driver provided by the OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer), which is the one we recommend first. However, you may test a clean wireless driver installation using our latest generic driver:

1. Download and save your driver of choice. You can:
    1. Get the latest system-specific driver https://www.asus.com/us/2-in-1-PCs/ASUS-ZenBook-Flip-14-UX461UA/HelpDesk_Download/ from your computer manufacturer support (already installed).
    2. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27615 Download the Latest Driver for Your Intel® Wireless Adapter.
  2. Uninstall the Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software.
    1. Open Programs and Features (Uninstall a program) from the Control Panel.
    2. Select Uninstall or Change and then Remove.
    3. When prompted, choose to discard settings.
  3. Uninstall your wireless driver. Windows* with an inbox driver may natively support some wireless adapters. You cannot uninstall an inbox driver. Proceed to the next step if you start seeing the same version of the driver installed automatically after it's uninstalled.
    1. Go to Device Manager.
    2. Expand the Network Adapters category.
    3. Right-click your Intel Wireless Adapter and choose to uninstall it.
    4. Make sure to select the option to Delete the driver software for this device.
  4. Clear out your temporary files.
    1. Press the Windows* key and R key simultaneously to open the run box.
    2. Type in: cleanmgr.exe and press the Enter key or OK.
    3. Place a check mark next to Temporary Files. You can leave everything else checked or unchecked.
    4. Press OK and wait.
  5. Reboot your computer.
  6. Locate the driver you downloaded back in Step 1. Run as administrator and follow the wizard to completion.
  7. (Optional Step) Apply the https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking/000024678.html Recommended Settings for Wireless Connectivity.

If the issue persists, please provide us with a WLAN report while connected to your Wi-Fi:

1. In the search box on the taskbar, type Command prompt, press and hold (or right-click) Command prompt, and then select Run as administrator > Yes.
  2. Enter: netsh wlan show wlanreport
  3. Go to: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\WlanReport\ locate wlan-report-latest.html

Best regards,

Eugenio F.
FMass4
Beginner

Hi Eugenio,

I accurately followed all those steps but the wifi seemed to remain slow. I follow those steps a second time and reboot after the fresh installation of the last driver and now the wifi is working !!!!!

Thank you very much for your help !

François

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello François,

Thanks for your reply. We're glad to hear the issue has been solved.

Please let us know if anything else is required.

Best regards,

Eugenio F.
0 Kudos
FMass4
Beginner

Hi,

Unfortunately the download speed came back to very low speed this morning. I attached the interl report and the wlanreport to this message.

Can you see something strange ?

Thank you,

François

0 Kudos
FMass4
Beginner

Hi Eugenio,

Did you manage to analyse the wlan report and the intel report ?

Thanks,

François

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello fmassot,

Thanks for the logs. They show you've been connected to the same network for the last few days. Can you replicate the issue on other networks?

If you have access to the router, please make sure its firmware is up to date and temporarily disable media QoS (Quality of Service) and other restrictions just for testing. On your computer, temporarily disable antivirus and firewall as well.

Please let us know the results.

Best regards,

Eugenio F.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello fmassot,

We're just checking on this thread. Please let us know if there's anything else we can do for you.

Best regards,

Eugenio F.
0 Kudos
FMass4
Beginner

Hi Eugenio,

Last week, I updated windows version and now wifi download speed is normal. I guess there was a problem between windows and driver versions.

François

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello François,

Thanks for sharing the solution. It is good to know the issue has been fixed.

Best regards,

Eugenio F.
0 Kudos
APine1
Beginner

Francois,

We are having this same issue on a Windows 7, 32 bit machine. Can you share what you upgraded from and to? Symptom is the same, card enters a state where it is slow and this state can be "fixed" by resetting the adapter but it eventually gets back into this state. A trace shows our card is delaying 6-10 seconds in sending ACKs among other issues. In our case this is also accompanied by high CPU utilization.

What worked for you exactly and has it recurred?

Adrian

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Adrian,

You can try the suggestion provided by Eugenio F on the first reply with the instructions on how to apply a clean driver installation of the adapter drivers.

- Make sure to download the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27851/Wireless-Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Windows-7-?product=94150 Windows* 7 drivers and install them.

Let us know if this works to solve the issue.

Regards,

Leonardo L.
0 Kudos
APine1
Beginner

Leonardo,

We have hundreds of machines so I don't think we can just "try" something with all do respect. I need to know what open bugs you have for 19.10.2.1 driver for Windows 7 32 bit? Where can I find that information?

After that I would need to know that the bug is fixed in the driver you're recommending so we can speed up all these machines. And btw, an updated driver does not mean the issue goes away, it takes time to reproduce.

So I need your help with two things:

- bugs/errata for 19.10.2.1

- confirmation of fix for this in the recommended driver

Thanks,

Adrian

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Adrian,

This driver version seems to be and older version and we don't have public the release notes for this driver version as it is outdated, checking on internal documentation on our end this issue has been already patched on driver package version 19.40.0. However since this driver package version was released around February of 2017, we no longer have it available on our website. I'll share you the release notes of our two most recent driver packages so you can review them to plan the deployment of the driver updates.

https://downloadmirror.intel.com/27750/eng/ReleaseNotes_WiFi_20_50_0.pdf Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software 20.50.0 Release notes

https://downloadmirror.intel.com/27849/eng/ReleaseNotes_WiFi_20_60_0.pdf Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software 20.60.0 Release notes

Let us know how it goes once you're able to update one or more of the affected systems.

Regards,

Leonardo L.
0 Kudos
APine1
Beginner

Leonardo,

20.50.0 could work maybe. Do you have a list of the OPEN issues? The release notes doesn't have this.

Can you provide a description of what was fixed in 19.40.0? How do we know it's this slowness issue we've been seeing at our hospital?

Adrian

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Adrian,

Checking on our end, we don't have reports yet of open issues with this adapter under Windows* 7, we mainly publish what was fixed in the release notes for our PRO/Set wireless software.

Regarding what was fixed in version 19.40.0, here's a quick rundown of what was patched with this driver package:

- WiFi client fails to ACK data frames with AMSDU aggregation ( >4K size) resulting in poor TPT performance.

- Occasionally BSOD occur when roaming between same AP name while in idle state

- Cannot connect to stealth(non broadcast) AP with 32 characters long SSID.

We hope you're able to test one of the more recent driver packages and hopefully they will solve the issue you're experiencing.

Regards,

Leonardo
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Adrian,

I'm writing to follow up on this thread, let me know if you were able to test one of the more recent drivers on the system or if the issue persists.

Regards,

Leonardo
0 Kudos
APine1
Beginner

Hi Leonardo,

We tried the 20.50 driver and there was not an improvement to our issue of slowness so I looked deeper at the protocol layer and I found the card was missing frames (example a ping request is missed so there would be no reply and various TCP issues). I found using the Intel System Support Utility that the CPU speed was low so I investigated this and found that the battery and DC to DC converter system powering these machines is not the same as similar machines that aren't as slow. We put the AC to DC adapter from the not as slow system to the slower one and now we see the CPU speed is 3.30 GHz and it's performing better. However, the Current Voltage reads "8." so I'm wondering why it's not reading 1.7 V. What can cause the CPU voltage to read "8." in the SSU utility (see attached) and how do I correct that? All the slower systems are all reading the CPU Voltage as either "8." or "7." so I'm curious if you have any thoughts. With this current configuration of factory AC to DC adapter, updated driver, CPU Speed 3.3 GHz and CPU voltage saying "8." the performance is still slow. What I see is the card can miss frames so it'll slow down TCP sockets, also when it does respond the responses are too slow for our core network (20-200 ms delays), our core network only has a 3-4 msec delay so those delays on the card add up.

What do you think about CPU Voltage reading "8."?

Thank you,

Adrian

0 Kudos
APine1
Beginner

Leonardo, to clarify the slowest systems are configured with a DC to DC converter system to 20V while the not as slow (faster) systems have batter, inverter and factory AC to DC adapter 19.5V 6.7A. I need to solve why the CPU Voltage reads "8.". Thanks, Adrian

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Adrian,

Thanks for the information, that's really interesting, since my area of support doesn't cover CPUs, I'll transfer the thread to our processors team so they can take a look on this voltage scenario and then we'll follow up on the issue with the wireless adapter.

Regards,

Leonardo
0 Kudos
APine1
Beginner

Leonard,

ok, let me know who I can interface with about my voltage question.

Adrian

0 Kudos