Items with no label
3335 Discussions

How to select a different mediasource format with the UWP API with time correlated sources

RSmee
Novice

I am using the Windows UWP API to access the RealSense D435 camera and I am running into a limitation.

I can access the color and depth streams separately with separate MediaFrameReaders and set the source formats to the resolution and framerate that I want using the CameraFrames sample found here: https://github.com/Microsoft/Windows-universal-samples/tree/master/Samples/CameraFrames Windows-universal-samples/Samples/CameraFrames at master · Microsoft/Windows-universal-samples · GitHub

So far so good!

Starting from Windows 10 version 1607 there exists a MultiSourceMediaFrameReader that can provide time correlated source frames. That also works, but the default resolutions of the frames that are provided are a bit low. Color has a default format of 320x180 and depth has a default format of 424x240. When I change the color and depth to a higher resolution with SetFormatAsync the resolution of the frames that are provided in the callback do not change.

Is this a known issue?

kind regards,

Roland

Windows 10.0.16299, RealSense D435 firmware 5.9.2.0, Realsense driver 5.1.160.5

0 Kudos
3 Replies
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

Are you trying to sync between color and depth? If so, Jesus G from Intel support posted the following information about the D415 and D435 models' hardware sync earlier this year:

D415

The RGB and depth cameras are on the same PCB board. The HW sync connection between RGB and depth is in place, but the FW has not enabled it yet . It is planned for development with a release about 2 months from now.

NOTE: Jesus' message was posted 2 months ago, suggesting that the availability of hardware sync will be in the near future.

D435

The RGB and depth sensors are not on the same PCB. The RGB is a standalone camera module, there is no HW sync connection between RGB sensor and depth sensor. They cannot be synced.

0 Kudos
RSmee
Novice

I am aware of the post you quoted. I do not want this question to go into a discussion on D400 hardware limitations.

With the recent update to the Windows UWP API it is possible to get media frames grouped in time.

Whether this is solved in hardware or in software is not important for working with the API right now.

It's a generic API that can be used for Kinect, Intel RealSense and any future sensor that may come with UWP support.

BTW the same behavior I described also occurs with the D415.

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

As you have the latest version of the UWP driver and firmware, there is nothing else I know of to suggest. It will be best if a member of Intel's support team on this forum (I'm not a support team member) takes up this case and tries to answer it for you. Good luck!

0 Kudos