Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20501 Discussions

Enabling Intel IGP, Windows 8.1 freezes upon boot

STimm1
Beginner

Hi there,

My specs:

Intel i7-4790 CPU

Intel 4600 IGP

Nvidia 1070 GPU

Windows 8.1 64bit

Mobo Gigabyte H97-D3H latest bios F7

Problem:

I want to enable the integrated graphics of my CPU, if I enable it in my bios windows will hang on start up. It seems to hang on the display driver initialization just before the screen appears. I booted into safe mode, uninstalled the Intel graphics drivers and selected 'delete drivers'. Windows then boots. I then tried installing the drivers win64_15.36.34.4889 but during the driver installation the system hangs, exactly when it is about to initialize the driver.

I never used to have this problem on my Z97 chipset system, but for certain reasons I had to change to a H97 mobo, and the problems have been since then.

Hope someone can help,

Thanks

0 Kudos
7 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello SteveQ,

I understand that your system is currently freezing and crashing when trying to enable the integrated graphics.

Regarding that, what could be happening is that your system does not support hybrid graphics and if you leave both the discrete card and the integrated graphics on it will cause errors and therefore freezes.

Something else that could be the reason is that you are not disabling the Nvidia* card from the BIOS settings, this is something you are normally able to do from there, however, for assistance on how to do so I would recommend you to contact Gigabyte.

Remember that when there is a discrete graphics card inserted (Nvidia for example) it will automatically disable the integrated graphics.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
STimm1
Beginner

Thank you for your reply. When you say that my system may not support hybrid graphics, could you not clarify this since my chipset is a H97 which is made by intel? Also I do need hybrid graphics to work, as I need to have both the Nvidia card working along side the IGP.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello SteveQ,

Thank you for your response,

In order to have more information and see if it does support hybrid or not, I will need to check some information about your computer. Please follow these steps:

1. In the keyboard, press WinLogo key + R.

2. In the Run box please type dxdiag and hit Enter.

3. Click on Save All Information (save it in your desktop).

4. Attach the report to this thread.

Regards,

David V

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello SteveQ,

I am following up with your case and see that we have not heard back from you.

If you need more assistance do not hesitate to reply.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
STimm1
Beginner

Dxdiag attached, thanks.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello SteveQ,

Thank you for your response,

I would like you to uninstall the driver again (if applicable) and then re-install the graphics driver by downloading the ".zip" file from the following link:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27441/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-1-15-36-?product=80806 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27441/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-1-15-36-?product=80806

Once this is downloaded, please follow the steps below:

1 - Unzip the file to a designated location or folder.

2 - Right-click Windows Start icon and open Device Manager.

3 - Click Yes when prompted for permission from User Account Control.

4 - Expand the Display adapters section.

5 - Right-click the Intel® graphics entry and select Update Driver Software.

6 - Click "Browse my computer for driver software".

7 - Click "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer".

8 - Click "Have Disk".

9 - Click "Browse".

10 - Access the designated location or folder, and access a folder called "Graphics".

11 - Select the file called "igdlh64" or "igdlh".

12 - Click Open, then click OK, and finally click Next. Drivers are now being installed.

13 - Reboot your computer

After this is done let us know the outcome please.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

SteveQ,

We wanted to check if you were able to follow the suggestion mentioned above.

If you need further assistance let us know.

Regards,

Intel Customer Support.
0 Kudos