Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Intel HD 4600 (10.18.14.4080) Win 8.1 x64 Outlook 2013 x86 White Screen

ncote
Novice

Hello,

We have strange issue with Outlook 2013 x86 on Windows 8.1 x64. Parts of the Outlook 2013 Interface will not render, instead white zones or black zones appear on the screen. keyboard shortcuts work, but closing and re-opening Outlook is the only way to get rid of the problem. I have attached a sample screen capture Blue blocks cover confidential data.

A similar post has been made here :

But no clear solution has been posted.

We have seen the issue with the following driver versions : 10.18.10.3412, 10.18.10.3960 and the new 10.18.14.4080 version.

We have updated the BIOS of Lenovo M93p to the lastest firmware which include the Intel VBIOS 1030.

Read me notes for 15.36.7.64.3960 had in Key issues fixed the following note : Fixed an issue where display screen was corrupted while Using Microsoft Outlook* application for more than an hour while other applications are running in the background. Are you 100% sure this issue has been fixed ?. We are using all Office 2013 products with video acceleration disabled as per http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2768648 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2768648

We have also tried a few variations in the our BIOS settings, change the default Pre-Allocated Memory Size from 32M to 512M, Nothing has helped.

Intel is this still any issue ? and when can we get a fix ?

0 Kudos
21 Replies
ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

Hi naimc

Thanks for posting the details of the issue you are seeing. We are currently investigating the issue and will post updates to this thread.

Would it be possible for you to attach the DXDiag report from the system this issue is occurring on using the lasts graphics driver 4080?

Thanks

Robert

0 Kudos
ncote
Novice

Hi Robert.

I have attached the DXDiag report from one computer one which the issue occurs on a daily basis.

Other notes :

- Computer is a lenovo M93p with Bios version, FBKT99AUS GPU-Z reports Video Bios 1030 CPU is and i7-4765T SR1 Q4 2.00 Ghz batch Vietnam X434A7171 . Lenovo has not released a VBIOS version higher than 1030.

- On this machine we also change the Pre-allocated video memory bios setting from 32 to 512 MB. This did not help.

- DxDiag.txt reports a PageFile size of 2600 MB but we disabled the page file as system has 8 GB of RAM, as issue occurred last in the day we thought that it was triggered when Outlook was paged out, this did not help.

Wmic cmd show no page file configured.

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> wmic pagefile list

No Instance(s) Available.

Naim

0 Kudos
ncote
Novice

Robert,

I was able to capture a video of the problem on my own computer. link : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_fv1pF-XF4 Outook 2013 x86 user interface turns to white - YouTube

I had about 30 email windows opened, created a new email pasted a screen capture, New window hung for a few seconds then entire body became white as did the reset of Outlook 2013. It never crashed I was able to close Outlook with the Alt-F4 key.

Naim

0 Kudos
ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

Hi naimc

Thanks for the additional information. We are investigating the issue and will post updates to this thread.

Thanks

Robert

0 Kudos
ncote
Novice

I have some even more strange info to relate regarding this issue.

One computer where the issue was occurring on a daily basis, we removed the Hardisk (SSD) out of Lenovo M93p with the i7-4765T-HD4600,

And put in the body of a :

Dell Latitude E7440 with i7-4600U-HD4400 GPU. GPU-Z reports a Intel HD Graphics Family, using igdumdim64 same version. 10.18.14.4080.

The laptop Bios is at version A09, and dell does not expose the Intel video microcode or vbios level so I have no way of knowing what version it is at.

this is the same SSD, same OS same software package same drivers.

Yet is behaves differently, over a 5 day period, user not experience any Outlook white screen issues that resulted in having to close and re-open Outlook. User reported 2 instanced during which screen when white for a few seconds then recovered on it's own.

Naim.

0 Kudos
ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

Hi naimc

Are all the systems that you see this issue on a Lenovo M93p ?

Thanks

Robert

0 Kudos
ncote
Novice

Robert we have about 1200 M93p and only about 100 Dell E7440 laptops.

Finally this week the user with the SSD from the M93p that I moved over into the E7440 reported the same issues, Outlook White screens and user had close and re-open Outlook 2013 to recover.

At 1st it seemed that changing the hardware fixed the issues but this was not the case, user had less video glitchs using the E7440 with i7-4600U-HD4400 GPU. But they still occur.

Naim.

0 Kudos
ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

Hi naimc

I have been testing for this issue for several hours and cannot reproduce it. Are there any specific settings you have for Outlook or are they all default? Could you give me specific steps to reproduce the issue? Finally, do you have all of the Office and Windows updates installed?

Thanks

Robert

0 Kudos
AJohn18
Beginner

We are seeing simular issues, and the latest driver is not helping for us either.

Lenovo laptops with Intel HD graphics, and office 2013.

0 Kudos
ncote
Novice

Robert,

Some configuration notes, Our Windows 8.1 x64 Enterprise have the DEP setting to 2 OptIn, which means that Outlook 2013 is running with DEP enabled. We also have Windows 8.1 Update 3 KB3000850 installed to the new Control flow Guard security feature is enabled on our computers and it cannot be disabled. The DEP setting might be important because we are also seeing Outook AppCrash erros with StackHash errors. These are not directly related to the White screen issues but they might be.

If you have a secure upload site I might be able to provide a dump of the Outlook.exe process when the UI goes white, not sure if you could do much with the dumps.

We also have a bunch of 3rd party add-ins in Outlook 2013. We are currently testing with most of these add-in's disabled to find if a particular combination triggers the white screen issues.

Acrobat PDFMaker Office COM AddinAntidote - Anti-Oups! pour OutlookAntidote - Chargement des compléments pour OutlookAntidote - Ruban d'OutlookMicrosoft Exchange Add-inLync Meeting Add-in for Microsoft Office 2013Redemption Helper Outlook Extension (Infoware Redemption.dll 5.0.0.2174)Osler Outlook Email SignaturesConversation History Add-in for Microsoft Office 2013Metadata Assistant 4 Outlook Add-InLexisNexis InterAction for Microsoft OutlookInfoware's Outlook Security Library (infoware Redemption.dll 5.0.0.2174)E-mail Filing Module for WorkSiteiManage FileSite Addin for Outlook 2013 5.6Microsoft SharePoint Server Colleague Import Add-in

Microsoft VBA for Outlook Add-in

Naim

0 Kudos
ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

@ naimc,

Thanks for the details of the issue you are seeing. Please let me know the results of the 3 party app testing. It could be why I cannot replicate the issue as I do not lave most of the apps you listed installed.

Thanks

Robert

0 Kudos
ncote
Novice

Hi Robert, the process of running Outlook 2013 on different computer in our firm with different Outlook add-in combinations is long and tedious.

While speaking Microsoft on premier case we have opened on this issue, they asked to provide a time-travel trace of the issue when no 3rd party dll's are present.

I have noticed in Process Explorer that C:\Windows\SysWOW64\igdumdim32.dll, (User-Mode Driver for Intel(R) Graphics Technology) is always loaded with Outlook.exe, Other than re-naming this DLL can it be exclude from Outlook ? We do have hardware acceleration disable in the entire Office 2013 suite.

Naim

0 Kudos
ncote
Novice

Robert i have some additional questions / observations about the following DLLs

When Outlook 2013 has Hardware Acceleration enabled the following 3 DLLs are hocked in Outlook.exe

c:\Windows\SysWOW64\igdumdim32.dll User-Mode Driver for Intel(R) Graphics Technology

c:\Windows\SysWOW64\igdusc32.dll Unified Shader Compiler for Intel ….

c:\Windows\SysWOW64\igd10iumd32.dll User Mode driver for Intel ….

When Hardware Acceleration is disabled in Outlook 2013 only c:\Windows\SysWOW64\igdumdim32.dll is left.

On a test computer that still had Hardware Acceleration diskabed I renamed igdumdim32.dll to igdumdim32.dll.temp. Outlook started fin, no error in the Apps or System logs and no more hooked intel DLL files.

I will run a few users with all 3 dll renamed .temp . While looking at WER crash dumps for other issues I found both : igd10iumd32.dll and igdusc32.dll in trace when I would have expected only igdumdim32.dl as we have Hardware Acceleration disabled by a GPO.

Naim

0 Kudos
ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

Hi naimc

Thanks for the additional information. This is very helpful in our debug effort. I will also contact you via email to arrange for you to send me the dump file. We will get this fixed.

Thanks

Robert

0 Kudos
AJohn18
Beginner
0 Kudos
NRafi1
Beginner

We are having the same issue here as well - tried all the latest drivers and fixes possible and still having rendering issues. We have Dell 9010\9020 desktops on Windows 7.

If Intel knows of this issue since last year when I first logged it then why isn't this a priority if everyone else is having the same issue.

Feel like Intel don't have an answer to this, see if Intel can prove me wrong.....

0 Kudos
CJeps
Beginner

Having this same issue, I switched my primary display back to the laptop instead of my external monitor and it fixed the issue I am unsure if this will help anyone but figured i'd post it

0 Kudos
IUman
Honored Contributor II

I'm really sorry for the delay on getting a solution for you all, this issue is still under investigation and it was also reported here:

I'm not sure if you have already try the latest graphics driver for Windows 8.1, you can download it here:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25425/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-1-15-36- Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows 7/8.1* [15.36]

0 Kudos
IUman
Honored Contributor II

Hi all,

This is to follow up on the issue noted here.

I would like to check if the issue persisted or if you contacted your OEM to get a possible solution on this.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Ivan

0 Kudos
ncote
Novice

Hi Ivan,

We still experience occasional white screen issue in Outlook but in all cases we have identified 3rd party add-ins as culprits not the video drivers.

thank you inquiring

Naim

0 Kudos