Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20623 Discussions

Why does changing my vRam in Register-Editor not work on my Intel HD graphics 4000?

NIJpm
Novice

I have an HP elitebook 2570p with 8 GB Ram and an Intel HD 4000 graphics card. My vRam is dedicated, so it shares ram with my normal ram. It says I can possibly have 1.7GB. I tried changing my vRam in the BIOS, which did not contain such an option. So I found this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szn5Mgb-IQs How to increase dedicated vRam on intel HD Graphics (without BIOS) [still working in 2017] - YouTube

It contained a way to change your vRam in the Register-Editor. It worked for a lot of people, but not for me. I used a QWORD(64-bit) and 1024, because of my 8 GB ram. I restarted my Laptop, but nothing happened. Can this solution work and if not, what can work?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
NIJpm
Novice

@Stefan3D I had a look at that page, but I have windows 10 and the downloads from that page did not support that. I searched for a driver update from HP as a generic update from intel did not work. I updated it. But still, it did not work. I tried using dword, qword, GMM, DVM, 1024 and 512, but nothing seems to work. Do you know where the problem lies?

n_scott_pearson
Super User

Why do you want to change these settings at all? If you are running Windows, the graphics driver will manage - and optimize - the memory usage necessary.

...S

0 Kudos
NIJpm
Novice

I am not able to go higher than around 500-600 MB. I wish to get at least 1Gb so I can play most games on low settings. I cannot even play fortnite Royale on custom lowest settings. Anyone got any idea how to higher the amount of given vRam? I can do about 1.7Gb

0 Kudos
JJohn37
Beginner

Intel hasn't updated the WDDM of the Intel HD 4000 driver, so that feature is not available on this card. They probably won't update it, just buy a new system or dGPU.

0 Kudos