Items with no label
3335 Discussions

Maximum Bit Depth for IR and RGB on D415

ASriv7
New Contributor I

Just to confirm, is the maximum bit depth for the RGB and IR streams on the D415 8 bits?

"RAW16" format for RGB exists, but each pixel of it takes 16 bits, which is lower than the 24 bits taken by each pixel of the "RGB8" format. It is greyed out when we select it for streaming RGB in RealSense Viewer 2.0.

"Y16" for IR is an option in RealSense Viewer 2.0, but it is greyed out when we select it for streaming.

So, is there any way to increase the bit depth from 8 to 16 bits for IR and RGB?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
ASriv7
New Contributor I

So, the maximum bit depth for RGB is 8 bits, while that for IR is 16 bits (with Y16 and UYVY formats for IR).

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

I did not have any problems selecting Y16 for IR and RGB on my own D415. Can you confirm please what the name of your camera is listed as in the RealSense Viewer? If it is fully functioning correctly in USB 3.0 mode then the camera name should be 'Intel RealSense 415'.

However, if the camera is only being detected in USB 2.0 mode (USB2) then the name will be listed as 'Intel RealSense USB2' and some settings will be unavailable. Is your camera listed as USB2, please?

0 Kudos
ASriv7
New Contributor I

After updating to the latest firmware (5.9.11) and SDK (Build 2.11.1), this is what the Viewer shows:

Y16 can be selected in RGB (which will be in greyscale) but not IR (even at the lowest resolution and fps).

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

I tried to reproduce your problem. Is the 'off' icon beside the word Stereo Module ghosting out when you select certain IR settings, preventing you from starting the stream?

This occurs because not every mode is available at every resolution and FPS value. I extracted from the data sheet the table of supported settings for the IR.

You only need INFRARED1 to get an infrared image and can de-select INFRARED2. In a successful test, I selected UYVY for INFRARED1, with a resolution of 1280x7w0 and 30 FPS, the maximum available FPS at that resolution according to the chart. Then the Off icon was un-ghosted to permit streaming.

ASriv7
New Contributor I

We are unable to select Y16 for IR even at 424x240 and 6 fps (which is supported).

Also, could you please tell me which document you got this table from?

0 Kudos
ASriv7
New Contributor I

So, the maximum bit depth for RGB is 8 bits, while that for IR is 16 bits (with Y16 and UYVY formats for IR).

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

That table above is just for the IR mode. The full table for RGB, IR and depth is on page 21 of this data sheet document:

https://www.mouser.com/pdfdocs/Intel_D400_Series_Datasheet.pdf https://www.mouser.com/pdfdocs/Intel_D400_Series_Datasheet.pdf

0 Kudos
ASriv7
New Contributor I

Are you able to stream IR in Y16 for any of the supported fps and resolutions? Could you please provide a screenshot of Y16 working for confirmation?

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

I ran tests on Y16 IR for each resolution and FPS value, with Depth set to Z16 each time. The following resolutions / FPs values were ghosted out and not available for Y16.

960x540, 30 FPS

960x540, 60 FPS

1280x720, 60 FPS

960x540, 90 FPS

1280x720, 90 FPS

0 Kudos