Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14547 Discussions

i7-980 problem with hyperthreading

JRoss15
Beginner

I have a system with an i7-980 CPU (not an eXtreme; just a regular model) and am using an Intel DX580G board (with latest BIOS update). This is a 6 core CPU, btw. The system is 3 years old and have had problems since I got it with it locking up when doing certain CPU intensive tasks. After putting in a beefier cooling system last year the lockups are happening again. The new cooling system initially did help for some of the lockups but not all. With the symptoms starting to happen again, I'm noticing that it is occurring more often, not just when doing some of the things that caused the lockups in the past, so recently the problem has gotten worse. I just discovered after looking around the BIOS controls that it appears that hyperthreading is the culprit. When I turn off hyperthreading, the symptoms go away. All the things that were causing the lockups can be done with no problem.

The performance of this system is quite good even with hyperthreading off. In fact I did a few CPU intensive tests (3d rendering and video conversion) and compared this 6 core single thread system against two other systems both i7 based, both with 4 cores with multithreading on. The 6 core with no multipthreading outperformed the two quad core with multithreading systems.

Has anyone else experienced this multithreading issue with i7s before? Thanks for any info

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Hi joncr, did you try running tests for the RAM or the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool?

Did you check the temperature in BIOS or swapping components?

http://www.intel.com/support/processors/sb/CS-031726.htm Processors — What is the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool?

0 Kudos
JRoss15
Beginner

Hi joe_intel,

Thanks for the reply. Sorry that I didn't list what we've tried so far but I thought that it would be implicit that I've tried pretty much everything before I posted the question. Here goes:

Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool: Yes, tried it. It passes with hyper-threading turned OFF, but fails with hyper-theading turned ON; it fails on the Stress Test part of the test; the machine LOCKS UP

Intel Extreme Tuning Utility: With hyper-threading turned OFF it passes a short stress test. It fails the stress test with hyper-threading turned ON immediately (LOCKS UP). Btw, I should add that I'm not using this utility to push or overclock this system; I'm just using the stress test.

RAM tests: Yes. I used Memtest and ran a fairly exhaustive test. In case you are not familiar with this app, it boots from a CD and bypasses the OS and tests the RAM directly. The system PASSED the RAM test.

Temperature: I've checked the temperature in the BIOS and using the Extreme Tuning Utility and it seems fine. I'm also using Core Temp to monitor temperature. The cooling system was upgraded about 14 months ago and it's pretty robust.

Passmark Performance Test: There are 9 tests in the CPU part of this test suite. With hyper-threading turned off, I can run 8 out of 9 tests. With one of the tests, the system LOCKS UP. That test is Encryption. This is the only example where something that I've tried has failed with hyper-threading turned OFF. With hyper-threading turned ON, I can run only 7 out of 9 without the system locking up. The 2 tests that cause a lockup with hyper-threading turned on are: 1) Encryption & 2) Sorting.

Various real world apps: doing CPU intensive activities (3ds Max/3d Rendering & Handbrake/video conversion) will work fine with hyper-threading turned OFF. They lock up / freeze almost immediately when hyper-threading is turned ON. Both of these apps are multi-threaded. So, apparently if an app uses multi-threading and it's available the system locks up.

Lastly, you mentioned 'swapping components'. Could you be a bit more specific? Is this along the lines of 'throwing a bunch of stuff at the wall' and seeing what sticks? :-) Or, is there some rational course of action that you are suggesting?

thanks,

jon

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Well, in this case the best option is to swap the processor if you have a compatible one you can use.

Otherwise I would suggest checking if the Intel® processor is in warranty.

0 Kudos
JRoss15
Beginner

The CPU is a little over 3 years old; I doubt whether it is still under warranty, but I'll check. In a case like this, the other variable is the motherboard, and it could very well be the motherboard that is the problem not the CPU. Do you agree that this is also a possibility?

The board is an Intel DX580G and it was purchased in late 2011 at the same time the CPU was purchased. In any event if I was to swap one of the other I'd just need to make sure it was socket 1366 LGA. The shop that built the system for me is getting another board that is socket 1366 and the guy there suggested that I bring my system back to him so he can try the new board with the CPU and see how that goes. I may let him give it a try.

Btw, a friend has the exact same CPU / motherboard combination that I do and he's having the same issues.

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

I agree the motherboard could be the cause. Try swapping either one to see what happens.

0 Kudos
JRoss15
Beginner

joe_intel,

Are you an Intel employee? Look, I appreciate your attempts at helping here but all the info that you have given me has added nothing to my level of knowledge of this problem. Your suggestions are along the lines of 'Capt. Obvious' from that hotel commercial that is on TV. It's obvious that in order to isolate the problem I need to swap these two components one by one and see which one is the problem. But that's easier said than done both financially and for time. I don't have spare CPUs and motherboards floating around and swapping out a motherboard to do a test is not a trivial matter. That's like downplaying how serious performing a heart transplant is. Btw, both of these components are Intel; both the CPU and motherboard. Were these even tested together by Intel? As I stated before, a friend who has the same CPU/motherboard combination is having the exact same symptoms with locking up.

Cheers,

jonR

0 Kudos