Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

i have dell inspiron 15 3537 laptop with intel HD 4400 and Amd radeon HD 8670M 2gb of switchable graphics, os windows 8.1

DSora
Beginner

hey there Intel....

i have dell inspiron 15 3537 laptop with intel HD 4400 and Amd radeon HD 8670M 2gb of switchable graphics, os windows 8.1,so i have graphics drivers issues with my switchable graphics system, Amd release the latest Graphics drivers of 14.2, 14.3, 14.7, 14.9, 14.9.2 for better perfomance and i installed them but after that i face the sleep mod and display weak up issues, so i restart and get update from windows updates for this issues and after that its works but Amd catalyst control manager is not working due to switchable graphics issues, after that i contact dell to support, so dell said that wait for our updates and at this time you can use 13.8 series of graphics and its works but the performance was not good bcoz of older version of graphics, so i contact AMD to support and Amd said that your system have switchable graphics with Intel HD graphics so you can remove them and instal our latest drivers to solve this issue and wait for updates from your system manufacturer (Dell) but i know intel graphics is internal graphics and intel graphics driver is needed for my system ... still i did't get any updates from any one so that here i aske intel that can intel solve this issue or can intel know what kind of issue is this....? bcoz this is my new and only 1 moth old system .. so plz ... have you any idea for this ..?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Hello Duke.Sor,

Let me help you with this.

It is very important to say that since your computer has Hybrid Graphics (AMD and Intel®) you should use the driver provided by the Computer Manufacture. This is because that driver was designed, created and validated specifically for system so installing another driver from other manufactures may cause lose of those special features such as resolutions or power management.

If you want to install our driver the best step is to uninstall completely the AMD driver and Intel® driver first and then download the latest driver from Intel® at this link:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=24348&lang=eng&ProdId=3719 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=24348&lang=eng&ProdId=3719

If during the installation of the driver you get notifications messages or errors, try the steps mentioned here:

/docs/DOC-22542 https://communities.intel.com/docs/DOC-22542

It is extremely important to install the Intel® HD Graphics driver first and then you can install the AMD driver for your system.

Kevin M

VGopa3
Beginner

hello duke.sor

I am not an expert in this line but I was facing same problem after updating my windows to 8.1. I would like to share my experience to you. I had explored a lot about this issues that time. actually AMD provides drivers to use its graphic processor which is AMD RADEON 8670M in our case. This drivers are universal but they are not developed to be used by devices of each manufacturer efficiently. Laptop and Computer manufacturers port this drivers according to each devices. They have to port them for each model. For dell, this process is slower than other manufacturers. And this porting priority differs from model to model. If we use directly the drivers made by AMD, they will not work proper (But they will give you the maximum performance. Using ported graphics drivers provided by manufacturer will always lag in performance little bit.) The only problem you will get by using AMD provided drivers is your device will not get sleep and hibernate. You can search on google for cmd command to do this. Other than this issue I think other applications and functions should work proper.

If you want to use AMD provided drivers, first remove every component of AMD from your computer (i.e. Catalyst centre and Graphics drivers) and then download the latest drivers from AMD and use them. It will give you high performance as well as lower battery life.

And if you do not want this troubles, then wait for dell to provide drivers for your device.

Vatsal