Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7429 Discussions

Dual Band Wireless N-7260 pcie mini adapter antennas configuration

RPros2
Beginner

I have a problem finding some specs how the chips onboard two antenna connectors should be setup.

How does it work?

As i understand chip can work in dual mode which is providing 5Ghz connectivity and 2.4Ghz connectivity at the same time.

How should i have to chooce antennas? 5ghz antenna for one connector and 2.4ghz antenna for second connector? which connector is 5ghz and which one 2.4ghz or they are interchangable, meaning

the both send 5ghz signal and 2.4 signal simultaneously? If so can i just use 2.4ghz band with two working 2.4Ghz antennas?

Will it work if i only use one 2.4ghz antenna?

Any help appreciated, little confused.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
tvete
Valued Contributor II

Antennas don't care about transmitting radios at 2.4 or 5 GHz frequency. The frequency reception and broadcast all depends on the WiFi chip. The purpose of connecting multiple antennas is to use MIMO that doubles the speed of a SISO (i.e. one antenna setup). FYI, Intel 7260 can detect 2.4 and 5 GHz simultaneously BUT NOT CONNECT to both frequencies simultaneously. Some wireless routers use the same antennas for their 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz radios.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
tvete
Valued Contributor II

Antennas don't care about transmitting radios at 2.4 or 5 GHz frequency. The frequency reception and broadcast all depends on the WiFi chip. The purpose of connecting multiple antennas is to use MIMO that doubles the speed of a SISO (i.e. one antenna setup). FYI, Intel 7260 can detect 2.4 and 5 GHz simultaneously BUT NOT CONNECT to both frequencies simultaneously. Some wireless routers use the same antennas for their 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz radios.

RPros2
Beginner

Thanks for the insight, i got this mini wifi module for my itx board, and as i saw (for the first time) 2 connectors and and 2 band in specs i was immediately confused without any background in radio and googled all the wrong keywords.

Also when i was looking for antenna , most of them was spec'd as 2.4Ghz and so my confusion was where are 5Ghz antennas .

I looked at this antenna Ghz in a wrong way, so 2.4Ghz antenna does'nt mean it is only suitable for this frequency , conductor makes a difference so conductor used for 2.4Ghz frequency is as good for 5Ghz.

tvete
Valued Contributor II

2.4 GHz is the most common frequency. The only way you can harm the antenna is to load it with extremely high transmit power, but you'll probably burn your radio chip inside the WiFi card before you do damage to antennas. Conductor makes a huge difference in range and speed and not as much as frequency.

Here's how MIMO works: http://wifijedi.com/2009/01/24/how-stuff-works-80211n-mimo/ How Stuff Works – 802.11n MIMO | WiFi Jedi.com

BTW, it all depends on radio chip if it supports 2.4 and 5 GHz and not the antenna specs. It's actually the antenna GAIN that you're supposed to look for and how much antennas needed by the WiFi chip to perform to its optimum speed.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

The answer is just wrong. The antenna needs to support 5GHz. (802.11 (a/b/g/n/ac/ad): 2400-2483.5 and 4900-5875 MHz antenna)

Reference: FCC compliance documents

https://fccid.net/document.php?id=939914 https://fccid.net/document.php?id=939914