Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20500 Discussions

External monitor recognized via HDMI cable but is blank.

BWill13
Beginner

Going nuts trying to get a new ASUS external monitor to work via HDMI cable with my Dell laptop. The Intel Graphics control panel recognizes the connection to the external monitor, identifies it correctly by brand and model, and allows me to adjust all the settings I would expect: refresh rate, resolution, output to clone/extended/laptop only/monitor only, etc. I can even move the mouse over to the extended monitor, take a screenshot, and see what the laptop 'thinks' it's displaying to the monitor. It's just that the monitor is blank, telling me HDMI1 (or HDMI2) NO SIGNAL.

Here's what I know / have tried

• Dell Inspiron 15R 5521
  • Windows 10 with latest updates (today in fact)
  • ASUS VE 278 LCD monitor
  • Graphics Driver is Intel HD 4000 v10.18.10.4653
  • I have uninstalled the above driver, deleted driver files, downloaded new files from Intel's website, and reinstalled the driver
  • I've verified that the HDMI cable and ASUS monitor are functioning properly by attaching them to a different laptop
  • I've verified that the Dell laptop in question has the same problem with a different external monitor
  • I have not verified whether or not the Dell laptop in question will successfully display to an external monitor using a VGA connection (I'm ordering an HDMI-VGA adapter after I hit 'post' on this post.)
  • I've tried every combination of power off/on, reboot, plug cable in, turn monitor off/on. Dozens of times. To the point that my lovely fiance questions my sanity.
  • Here's the weirdest symptom that I've not seen in any of the research I've done on this issue: When I changed the refresh rate to 50p hz (not 50i hz), the Asus monitor showed a distorted, flickering display. I could see a crappy image of what was supposed to be there, take a normal screen shot, etc. This only happened at 50p, not 50i, 59p/i, or 60p/i. To kick the weirdness up a notch: After uninstalling/reinstalling the driver, THIS STOPPED, so now I just have a blank monitor. I mean the weird 50p behavior in this bullet stopped. Everything else is still as described.
  • Intel's diagnostic utility text file attached.
  • Between uninstall/reinstall of the Intel driver, I tried plugging the monitor in while the system was using the built-in graphics capability. My laptop wouldn't recognize it at all.

Thoughts, anyone?

Edit: Device manager 'monitors' is showing two Generic PnP Monitors. There should be just one generic PnP monitor plus the external monitor.

Edit2: Which is apparently normal as indicated by a little further research. Counter-intuitive, but normal.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello WilliamofNormandy,

Thank you for joining the Graphics Community. I am sorry to hear you are having issues with this matter.

Have you reported this behavior to Dell? The test you have done with the different monitor could indicate a hardware issue.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
BWill13
Beginner

Amy,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I've posted this same question on Dell's support community.

Isn't it strange that I can get a distorted display with an old driver set to 50p refresh rate? Have you ever heard of such a thing? I tried installing an older version of the driver and replicated that result.

Can you tell me which of these two is more true:

1) Intel has seen a similar set of symptoms/attempted fixes, and it pretty much points to a hardware issue

2) Intel hasn't seen a similar set of symptoms/attempted fixes, but it sounds like a hardware issue.

Many thanks!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I believe it could be hardware related, maybe you have bent or broken pins in the port and it makes it work at 50p. Is there any chance to test a different HDMI cable?

1) is the most accurate, but this depends on a lot of things so it's difficult to categorize it like that.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
BWill13
Beginner

Thanks for the suggestion. I've tried two different HDMI cables. They both function normally when used to connect a different laptop and the monitor in question.

While I was at it, I made close visual inspection of the HDMI port. It looks pristine. Since I didn't know exactly what to look for, I compared it to a properly functioning HDMI port, and they're identical to my eyes.

One other clue, although I'm not sure it helps much: the sound doesn't work either. The monitor has built-in speakers that do play sound when connected to a different laptop, but I get no sound from the monitor when connected to the laptop in question. When I connect the HDMI cable, the sound going to my regular speakers cuts out, so the laptop 'thinks' it's sending sound signal to the monitor. Again, the Intel HD Graphics Control Panel recognizes the ASUS monitor, so that part of the connection between monitor and computer is working successfully. I've attached a screenshot of the control panel--the display settings are exactly those which work when chosen from a different laptop.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Since you are running the latest driver from our end for your computer manufacturer, the best thing in this case is to wait for Dell's answer on this matter. Their support can provide more steps and driver for your computer model.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
BWill13
Beginner

OK. One more question, and I ask because I've seen this suggested for similar problems. Is re-installing Windows likely to have any benefit?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

You can always give it a try, it could help. And, if possible test a different Windows® 10 build version.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
BWill13
Beginner

Final verdict: needs a new motherboard.

Thank you Intel for at least looking at my post and replying. Dell never did.

0 Kudos