Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20589 Discussions

HDR10+ requires HDMI 2.1

MKnor
Beginner

I was reading an article that states an HDR10+ format requires HDMI 2.1.

Here is the quote from the Blu-ray forum:

Proposed optional 4K HDR formats:

1. HDR10+ is 10 bits, is dynamic. Requires HDMI 2.1.

2. Technicolor is 10 bits, is dynamic. Requires HDMI 2.1.

Is this an accurate statement or can HDR10+ be supported with HDMI 2.0a?

0 Kudos
16 Replies
Stefan3D
Honored Contributor II

Mixed results via Google search

www.google.com/search?q=HDR10%2B+HDMI

One half of the "experts" says yes, the other half no

Time will tell...

0 Kudos
MKnor
Beginner

Thanks for the response. But the HDR WP does not address specifics on HDR10+ HDMI version.

Can you point me to the page or paragraph that states HDMI version for HDR10+?

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Sorry, but we will have to defer to the Intel Support Staff on this.

Doc

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi SilentK,

I understand you need information about HDMI version and HDR 10 compatibility. Let me help you on this matter.

I have checked this https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/graphics/HDR_Intel_Graphics_TechWhitePaper.pdf document and confirms the HDMI version 2.0a, see picture attached.

Thanks for your time.

Allan J.
0 Kudos
MKnor
Beginner

Hi Allen,

While I can not find direct reference to HDR10+ or DolbyVision and the HDMI version required to support dynamic HDR required by the above referenced standards, can you please indicate a page and paragraph where this is addressed in the HDR WP?

Thanks,

SilentK

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi SilentK,

The picture I have attached previously was taken from the linked document.

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/graphics/HDR_Intel_Graphics_TechWhitePaper.pdf https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/graphics/HDR_Intel_Graphics_TechWhitePaper.pdf

Please go ahead and paste the link in a separate window. Also, you can check system ingredients on page 7 for more information.

Regards,

Allan J.
0 Kudos
MKnor
Beginner

Allen,

The HDR WP does not mention Dolby Vision or HDR10+, both having dynamic HDR metadata instead of the standard static metadata.

Does HDMI 2.0a support dynamic HDR metadata as addressed by both Dolby Vision and HDR10+? At the very least, will HDMI 2.0a support dynamic HDR under Dolby Vision as there are movie releases already available.

Here is a quote by AVS Forum. I am trying to understand the confusing multiple references to support both dynamic HDR spec's.

Unfortunately, HDR10+ is not part of the UHD Blu-ray spec at this time. Plus it requires https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=hdmi HDMI 2.1. So you would likely need a new player as well. Adoption of HDR10+ on disc is likely a few years away, if ever. That's why it can only be streamed internally on Samsung TVs initially.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi SilentK,

I have forwarded this information to the appropriate team. I will update this thread as soon as I get news about this matter.

Regards,

Allan J
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi SilentK,

Thank you for your patience.

I just received information from the engineering team and they have confirmed that your graphics controller supports HDR10 and they did not mention current support for Dolby Vision.

Regards,

Allan J
0 Kudos
MKnor
Beginner

Hi Allen,

Since the Dolby Vision dynamic metadata is embedded in the video signal itself as per the following quote:

"Another advantage of Dolby Vision is that the metadata is embedded into the video signal, meaning it can run across 'legacy' HDR connections as far back as version 1.4b. Despite only using static metadata, HDR10 requires HDMI 2.0a compatibility."

Will the UHD630 pass this information to the display or will it strip the information from the video signal or cause video artifacts?

Thanks,

SilentK

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi SilentK,

I am forwarding this information to the engineering team, I need some time to get answer on this matter.

Thanks

Allan J.
0 Kudos
Stefan3D
Honored Contributor II

Official HDR10+ website has just been launched:

www.hdr10plus.org/press-release/

The HDR10+ platform will soon be made available to content companies, ultra-high definition TVs, Blu-ray disc players/recorders and set-top box manufacturers, as well as SoC vendors, royalty-free with only a nominal administrative fee. Companies can view the new logo, learn about the license program including final specifications, adopter agreements and sign up to receive a notification when technical specifications for HDR10+ become available at http://www.hdr10plus.org/ http://www.hdr10plus.org. In addition, UHD Blu-ray metadata generation tools have been developed with third parties and will soon be available for content creators enabling UHD Blu-ray players to enter the market. Details on the content transfer and interface format for the content creation pipeline will also be released shortly.

0 Kudos
MKnor
Beginner

Thanks for the info Stefan3D. Its good to see the HDMI.org has finally recognized HDR10+ as a dynamic HDR contender. I am just waiting to build my new 4K HTPC until all the pieces are in place to support "all" of the dynamic HDR technologies. It seems foolish to build something today around static HDR when multiple, much more robust, dynamic HDR technologies will be soon available.

I would hope that Intel will build a graphics processor that will incorporate an HDMI interface that will support competing HDR standards and the bandwidth to support, at a minimum, 4K120HZ bandwidth.

Thanks,

SilentK

0 Kudos
MKnor
Beginner

Oh Stefan3D, does the UHD630 pass the dynamic HDR metadata embedded in a Dolby Vision signal to the display or does it strip it out or produce video artifacts because of its existence?

0 Kudos
MKnor
Beginner

I would imagine the below comments from flatpanelshd will pertain to Intel as well for those building 4K systems:

So..there is no need to buy a tv till the HDMI 2.1 and HDR+ will be a part of them?

Exactly. The industry fragments, and then we wait for all the tech to come together before buying. 2018 will be an industry slowdown because of it. People with the ability to spend will sit it out till 2019 or 2020 just to get 2.1 "in" and 10+ "in" so you aren't left with a standards doornail. And meanwhile everyone who bought into simple HDR10 will find themselves left in the technology dust, and they won't be back to the market after being burned. Competition is good, but at a time when the industry needed to motivate the customer to buy, they will be having the opposite effect. For some players who wanted time to catch up this was part of their plan.

0 Kudos