Items with no label
3335 Discussions

3rd-party hand tracking middleware recommandation for SDK 2.0

JMarb1
Beginner

As SDK 2.0 will drop the hand tracking support, this lets a large part of the RealSense user base with no solutions with hand tracking for the future. The sample on the github page is more a research project than a finished product and Intel seems not committed to bringing this project to a mature state. So my question is : have Intel abandoned its users of the hand tracking module or do they have an alternative (intel-provided or 3rd-party) to offer or suggest for the new devices? If they have nothing to offer, then we will have no other option than to switch to another device like the Leap Motion.

Are there any other hand-tracking users around here with alternate solutions?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

You can gain access to functions such as hand tracking by using the SDK 2.0 with OpenCV modules that provide the functionality that you require. I recommend googling 'opencv hand tracking'.

0 Kudos
JMarb1
Beginner

Thanks for your input MartyG, but from what I've seen on the net, there is no official openCV hand tracking module. There's just a bunch of samples on personal blogs showing how you can detect hands/count fingers using basic 2D image algorithms. The RealSense hand-tracking module tracks both hands and individual fingers in 3D and in real-time, all this in a clean, stable and production-ready API. The openCV solution is miles from this in terms of reliability and features, it's more at DIY/student project level solution, not a suitable replacement for the RealSense hand-tracking SDK for use an actual product.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Jumar,

Thank you for contacting Intel Intel® RealSense™ Technology support.

We do not have a recommendation for a specific 3rd party hand tracking middleware to use at this time.

We have provided this feedback to our development team and we let them know that this is important to the community.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Best regards.

Josh B.

Intel Customer Support
0 Kudos
DMaio
Beginner

Hello,

I'm in the same situation.

I don't understand why Intel dropped the hand tracking system. I mean the Image Processing chip, capable of doing the hand tracking stuff, is here so why drop that capability?

For how I use the RealSense the hand tracking system is truly important for me.

Awaiting news/solutions.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello b0unc3,

Thank you for your interest on Intel® RealSense™ Technology.

As mentioned by MartyG:

"You can gain access to functions such as hand tracking by using the SDK 2.0 with OpenCV modules that provide the functionality that you require. I recommend googling 'opencv hand tracking'."

Please note that the Intel RealSense SDK for Windows is discontinued and support for it is very limited.

We do not have a recommendation for a specific 3rd party hand tracking middleware to use at this time.

We have provided this feedback to our development team and we let them know that this is important to the community.

Best regards,

Josh B.

Intel Customer Support
0 Kudos
鑫廖
Beginner

Wishing 3rd-party hand tracking solution too! Don't waste the 90 fps point cloud and 10M range!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Tufeixp,

Thank you for your interest on Intel® RealSense™ Technology.

Best regards,

Josh B.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos