Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14400 Discussions

Power consuption difference between Xeon E5 2630 V4 vs Xeon E5 2630L V4 - low power server

CCiJa
Beginner

Hello,

For a new test server I try to find out how much is the difference between both CPUs in power consumption. It is really hard to find any information, I think overall the CPU load should not be so high on the server. Currently I have installed an Intel I3-7100 on my server with 64 GB ram. But now I need more RAM and therefore I need to change the CPU and Motherboard. Most important point is the power consumption. Could anyone help with my question?

Current Setup / consumption:

1. Intel I3-7100

2. MSI B250 GAMING M3

3. 4x16 GB DDR4 Crucial 2400

4. 2x Western Digital Red 27/7 HDD

5. 1x Samsung 850 Evo 256GB

6. 27/7 Server Power Supply Gold 550 Watt

Thanks in advanced

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello CiJ,

Thank you for joining the Intel® Community.

Please let me double check this, I will update the thread as soon as possible.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

/thread/120762 CiJ, thank you for your patience.

The first thing you would like to take into consideration is that the Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-2630L v4 is only available as a tray unit, this means that is not sell to the public only to OEM's. Now regarding your inquiry, both processors belong to the Broadwell family and actually were launched in the same period. This means that the power management and consumption is basically the same. The TDP of this processors differs since one of the processors reaches higher frequencies that the other, and this is the reason why it has a higher TDP.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

/thread/120762 CiJ,

Hope you were able to check the previous input.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
CCiJa
Beginner

Hi Amy,

sorry for my late response on this topic. I have already received the new CPU and after a view tests the power consumption seems to be is very nice. I have tested with 1x 16 DDR4, 1x 250 GB SSD and the consuption at idle is 37 - 41 Watts the fulload test is not finished yet.

Thanks for your support

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

/thread/120762 CiJ, I am glad to hear that!.

If you have more questions, please let us know.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos