Items with no label
3335 Discussions

Will librealsense1 and librealsense2 coexist happily?

BLee42
New Contributor I

Hi,

I'm trying to use both D435 and R200 on an Intel Aero drone. I understand that D435 requires librealsense2, which no longer supports R200.

It seems to me that the only logical solution is to have both librealsense1 and librealsense2 compiled and installed.

Will this work?

Brian Lee

0 Kudos
3 Replies
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

I have heard of cases of more than one copy of Librealsense 1 being installed together on the same storage. I believe that as long as the SDKs (whether Librealsense 1 or Librealsense 2) are installed in different folder locations, they should ignore each other.

As the Aero board uses the Yocto Project flavor of Linux though, I don't know whether Librealsense2 would work with it. You could probably run Librealsense2 on an Ubuntu PC on the ground and communicate with the Aero board on the drone via wi-fi though.

0 Kudos
BLee42
New Contributor I

Thanks for the answer Marty.

Follow-up question. Is either librealsense1 or librealsense2 necessary for the RS camera to be recognized as a uvcvideo device? I was under the impression that librealsense is necessary for the low-level stuff like that (in which case I won't be able to run things over the network as you suggest).

Brian

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

I don't know about Linux, but in Windows, RealSense cameras tend to be treated as RGB webcams if they cannot function as RealSense depth cameras. An exception to that is the R200 model, which can only show video as a rear-facing webcam if a front-facing RGB webcam such as the one built into a laptop is also present (Skype can toggle between a front facing or rear facing video stream on a call if R200 is attached).

0 Kudos