Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4810 Discussions

Intel I210-AT: How can I have multiple "virtual" adapters assigned different tagged VLANs in Windows Server 2016?

SMend4
Beginner

I have installed the latest Intel networking drivers for my I210-AT network device from this link: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26092/Intel-Network-Adapter-Driver-for-Windows-Server-2016- https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26092/Intel-Network-Adapter-Driver-for-Windows-Server-2016-. I am using Windows Server 2016, build 1607, on my server computer.

I try to go to device manager to find the Intel Advanced Networking Services tab in the driver details for the I210-AT device, but it does not appear to be there anymore in Server 2016. How can I bring this functionality back so I can make virtual network adapters that have different VLAN tags associated with them? If there isn't a way to bring back Intel ANS, is there a built-in method in Server 2016 that would allow me to make use of virtual adapters and assign VLANs to the virtual interfaces?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi Rewritten,

Thank you for posting in Wired Communities. You need to go to the Server Manager of Windows 2016 to configure the VLAN instead in the device manager, please refer to this link for reference:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000022706/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html

Thanks,

Sharon T
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Rewritten,

Please feel free to update me if the above information answered your question, do let me know if you need further assistance.

Regards,

Sharon

0 Kudos
SMend4
Beginner

Hello Sharon,

Sorry for the delay, I have been really busy with things. The article you linked me is for setting up teamed interfaces, which isn't what I am after. I am after creating virtual interfaces with different VLAN assignments, such as the one shown in this picture:

These settings in Windows Server 2016 are missing. This is what I am after.

I tried creating teamed interfaces anyway, but Server 2016 does not allow you to split the teamed interface into more VLANs. You can only have one teamed interface in one VLAN. It doesn't let you create multiple VLANs for a single teamed interface to be in.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Rewritten,

Thank you for the reply. Let me further check.

Regards,

Sharon T
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Rewritten,

There is no teaming option like the one you will find in Windows 7 before. For windows 2016, you need to use the server console option as stated in the website https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000022706/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000022706/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html to create the team then from the team, you will find the option to create VLAN. I understand you created team already, just want to double check if you were able to perform step # 7 to add more VLANs by specifying different VLAN ID or you simply just want to create VLAN only without any team?

Please let me know if this is what you are after.

I am doing some further check at our end. Thanks.

Thanks,

Sharon T
0 Kudos
RCohe7
New Contributor I

Again this is not the answer to the question. The OP is asking how to assign MULTIPLE VLANS to a single NIC the way you could in server 2012R2. Is there a way to do this on 2016 or not?

0 Kudos
SMend4
Beginner

Hello,

I have tried to put the Teamed interface in one VLAN. But, when I go back to that same interface in step 7, there is no way to add more VLANs to the team. I used to be able to do this from Device Manager by right-clicking the Ethernet interface and using the Intel Advanced Networking Services driver settings to make this possible.

I want the behavior where the Intel driver can make a teamed interface be part of multiple VLANs, without having to have more interfaces attached. For example, interface TEAM1, should be part of tagged VLANs 10, 20 and 30. The steps you linked to do not allow this to happen.

I am still looking for the solution that creates virtual interfaces in their own respective VLAN like how it works in WIndows Server 2012 R2 or Windows 10 Pro.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Rewritten,

Thank you for the clarification, that is what I wanted to clarify about step 7. I am further checking here as Windows 2016 no longer has the Teaming and VLAN tab interface. I will update you once there is any finding. Thank you.

Regards,

Sharon T
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Rewritten,

Further checking, after you created one VLAN in step 7, you may continue to create other VLANs for the same teamed NIC as follow:

1) Under the Team Interface, please highlight the team with VLAN 1 which you created

2) Go to TASKS at right side and click on the arrow down key to bring up the menu option

-Add interface

-Delete

-Properties

3) Click on Add interface

4) This will bring up New team interface windows where you can specify the other VLAN ID, please click on Specific VLAN enter the VLAN value in the box, Click OK

The second VLAN link to the same teamed NIC will appear

5) Repeat the above steps to add other VLANs

You may refer to the attached screenshot for reference. Please let me know if you need clarification.

Regards,

Sharon T

0 Kudos
SMend4
Beginner

Hello Sharon,

Your newest solution works for me. I am able to replicate the view in your screenshot and now it allows me to make more virtual instances of the same teamed interface in different VLANs. I do not understand why Microsoft would go great lengths to hide such a useful functionality. Lots of resources online only deal with scenarios where one teamed interface is being created with no consideration of multiple VLANs existing on it.

Thank you so much for assisting me with troubleshooting this VLAN issue! It has been the single most thing that I missed coming from Intel drivers in Server 2012 R2 and Server 2008 R2. I considered this issue solved.

Thanks for the big help.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

HI Rewritten,

Thank you for the update. I am glad indeed the solution works and you are able to create multiple VLANs. In case you have other inquiries, please feel free to contact us, Thank you.

Regards,

Sharon T
0 Kudos