Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2055 Discussions

Intel Optane and SSD cache using Intel RST?

MRoll5
Novice

I just finished a new build using an Asus Maximus IX Extreme MB, and I'm using an Intel Optane 32GB memory module, a 1TB Samsung 960 EVO NVMe M.2 SSD, a 2TB SanDisk Extreme SATA SSD, and a Seagate Barracuda 7TB HDD. The Optane is setup caching the SanDisk 2TB SATA SSD, which is used as my boot drive, but I'd like to know if there's any way to setup the Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe SSD to cache my Seagate 7TB HDD. With Intel RST Premium with Intel Optane set in my BIOS under PCH Storage Configuration, Intel RST doesn't recognize my Samsung 960 EVO NVMe SSD and neither does the Samsung 960 driver/firmware/Magician. I'm assuming this is because the storage controller is configured as RAID instead of AHCI.

Is there any way I can load the Samsung driver and/or firmware while using this Optane drive? If the controller is already setup for RAID using the Optane drive with the SanDisk SSD, is it possible to setup this Samsung SSD to cache my Seagate HDD? Originally, I purchased the Optane drive to cache the 7TB Seagate drive, but then I found out I could only use the Optane module to cache my boot drive, and I don't want to use this 7TB drive as my boot drive. I'd like to increase the performance of this Seagate 7TB HDD. If anyone has any suggestions how I can setup a cache drive for the 7TB Seagate in addition to using the Optane drive, I'd love to hear them.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi rolldog,

Thank you for contacting our support community. We understand your concern regarding the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST).

You have contacted the Intel® Optane™ Memory support team since the module is working fine and your question is related to the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology how to set up the Samsung* 960 EVO NVMe* in order to cache the Seagate* Barracuda 7TB HDD, we will move the thread to the /community/tech/rapid-storage-technology Intel® RST support community so they can assist you with your concern.

Regards,

Junior M.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello rolldog,

Thank you for joining the Intel Community Support.

I understand that you are interested in accelerating your system using Intel® Optane™ Memory and Intel® Rapid Storage Technology.

Based on your system configuration, you have the following options to make the most out of this technology:

1.Use Intel® Optane™ Memory to accelerate your 2TB SanDisk Extreme SATA SSD if using it as your boot drive.

2.Use Intel® Optane™ Memory to accelerate your Seagate Barracuda 7TB HDD if using it as your boot drive.

This basically means that using both Intel® Optane Memory and your Samsung 960 EVO NVMe M.2 SSD for system acceleration is not supported. System acceleration is only supported with one module and one SATA Primary Boot drive.

Wanner G.
idata
Employee

Hello rolldog,

I hope you found the information provided useful.

Please let me know if you need any further assistance.

Wanner G.
0 Kudos