Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4810 Discussions

Unable to update firmware on X710-Q2: "Update not available"

GPatc
Beginner

Hi,

I got an XL710 where it is sitting on 4.16 on which I'm unable to update its firmware. I've tried firmware update tools from 4.42 to 6.05 which are saying "update not available".

I need to update its driver so that I can run latest Cisco Trex version's for pumping traffic.

here are the card details:

# lspci -vvv

84:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Controller XL710 for 40GbE QSFP+ (rev 01)

Subsystem: Intel Corporation Ethernet Converged Network Adapter XL710-Q2

Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx+

Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- SERR-

Latency: 0, Cache Line Size: 32 bytes

Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 63

Region 0: Memory at c8800000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=8M]

Region 3: Memory at c9008000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=32K]

Expansion ROM at c9200000 [disabled] [size=512K]

Capabilities: [40] Power Management version 3

Flags: PMEClk- DSI+ D1- D2- AuxCurrent=0mA PME(D0+,D1-,D2-,D3hot+,D3cold+)

Capabilities: [50] MSI: Enable- Count=1/1 Maskable+ 64bit+

Address: 0000000000000000 Data: 0000

Masking: 00000000 Pending: 00000000

Capabilities: [70] MSI-X: Enable+ Count=129 Masked-

Vector table: BAR=3 offset=00000000

PBA: BAR=3 offset=00001000

Capabilities: [a0] Express (v2) Endpoint, MSI 00

DevCap: MaxPayload 2048 bytes, PhantFunc 0, Latency L0s <512ns, L1 <64us

ExtTag+ AttnBtn- AttnInd- PwrInd- RBE+ FLReset+

DevCtl: Report errors: Correctable- Non-Fatal+ Fatal+ Unsupported+

RlxdOrd+ ExtTag+ PhantFunc- AuxPwr- NoSnoop- FLReset-

MaxPayload 256 bytes, MaxReadReq 4096 bytes

DevSta: CorrErr+ UncorrErr- FatalErr- UnsuppReq+ AuxPwr- TransPend-

LnkCap: Port # 0, Speed 8GT/s, Width x8, ASPM not supported, Exit Latency L0s <2us, L1 <16us

ClockPM- Surprise- LLActRep- BwNot- ASPMOptComp+

LnkCtl: ASPM Disabled; RCB 64 bytes Disabled- CommClk+

ExtSynch- ClockPM- AutWidDis- BWInt- AutBWInt-

LnkSta: Speed 8GT/s, Width x8, TrErr- Train- SlotClk+ DLActive- BWMgmt- ABWMgmt-

DevCap2: Completion Timeout: Range ABCD, TimeoutDis+, LTR-, OBFF Not Supported

DevCtl2: Completion Timeout: 65ms to 210ms, TimeoutDis-, LTR-, OBFF Disabled

LnkCtl2: Target Link Speed: 2.5GT/s, EnterCompliance- SpeedDis-

Transmit Margin: Normal Operating Range, EnterModifiedCompliance- ComplianceSOS-

Compliance De-emphasis: -6dB

LnkSta2: Current De-emphasis Level: -6dB, EqualizationComplete+, EqualizationPhase1+

EqualizationPhase2+, EqualizationPhase3+, LinkEqualizationRequest- Capabilities: [e0] Vital Product Data Product Name: XL710 40GbE Controller Read-only fields: [PN] Part number: [EC] Engineering changes: [FG] Unknown: [LC] Unknown: [MN] Manufacture ID: [PG] Unknown: [SN] Serial number: [V0] Vendor specific: [RV] Reserved: checksum good, 0 byte(s) reserved Read/write fields: [V1] Vendor specific: End Capabilities: [100 v2] Advanced Error Reporting UESta: DLP- SDES- TLP- FCP- CmpltTO- CmpltAbrt- UnxCmplt- RxOF- MalfTLP- ECRC- UnsupReq- ACSViol- UEMsk: DLP- SDES- TLP- FCP- CmpltTO- CmpltAbrt+ UnxCmplt+ RxOF- MalfTLP- ECRC- UnsupReq- ACSViol- UESvrt: DLP+ SDES+ TLP+ FCP+ CmpltTO+ CmpltAbrt- UnxCmplt- RxOF+ MalfTLP+ ECRC+ UnsupReq- ACSViol- CESta: RxErr- BadTLP- BadDLLP- Rollover- Timeout- NonFatalErr- CEMsk: RxErr+ BadTLP+ BadDLLP+ Rollover+ Timeout+ NonFatalErr+ AERCap: First Error Pointer: 00, GenCap+ CGenEn+ ChkCap+ ChkEn+ Capabilities: [140 v1] Device Serial Number e8-c4-27-ff-ff-ca-05-68 Capabilities: [150 v1] Alternative Routing-ID Interpretation (ARI) ARICap: MFVC- ACS-, Next Function: 1 ARICtl: MFVC- ACS-, Function Group: 0 Capabilities: [160 v1] Single Root I/O Virtualization (SR-IOV) IOVCap: Migration-, Interrupt Message Number: 000 IOVCtl: Enable- Migration- Interrupt- MSE- ARIHierarchy+ IOVSta: Migration- Initial VFs: 64, Total VFs: 64, Number of VFs: 0, Function Dependency Link: 00 VF offset: 16, stride: 1, Device ID: 154c Supported Page Size: 00000553, System Page Size: 00000001 Region 0: Memory at 00000000c9300000 (64-bit, prefetchable) Region 3: Memory at 00000000c9b00000 (64-bit, prefetchable) VF Migration: offset: 00000000, BIR: 0 Capabilities: [1a0 v1] Transaction Processing Hints Device specific mode supported No steering table available Capabilities: [1b0 v1] Access Control Services ACSCap: SrcValid- TransBlk- ReqRedir- CmpltRedir- UpstreamFwd- EgressCtrl- DirectTrans- ACSCtl: SrcValid- TransBlk- ReqRedir- CmpltRedir- UpstreamFwd- EgressCtrl- DirectTrans- Capabilities: [1d0 v1] # 19 Kernel driver in use: i40e</td...
0 Kudos
11 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi Pganesh,

Thank you for posting in Wired Communities. Please provide information below for further clarification:

1) We do not have firmware version 6.05, can you confirm if you are upgrading to firmware 6.01 at https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/83964/Intel-Ethernet-Converged-Network-Adapter-X710-DA2?

2) As mentioned the original firmware is 4.16 and you've tried upgrading from 4.42 to version 6.0x but fail. Have you tried upgrading from 4.42 to 4.53 then to 5.05 and so on.

Please feel free to update me.

Thanks,

Sharon T
0 Kudos
GPatc
Beginner

Hi Sharon,

1. Yeah I meant 6.01 version.

2. What I meant is I've tried using firmware update tools from version 4.42 to 6.01 where every version of firmware update tool failed to update my card which includes version 4.42 firmware tool too. So right now I'm stuck with firmware version 4.16 only

3. With little bit of more digging here and there I've come to know that my card is of supermicro AOC-S40G-i2Q model. I wonder whether this card is supported by the official firmware update tool

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Pganesh,

Thank you for the clarification. The firmware posted on our website is applicable to Intel retail network adapter, please contact Supermicro the OEM NIC vendor for the customized firmware that is suitable and applicable to the OEM model. You may refer to our website regarding our support of OEM network card.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006628/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html

Thanks,

Sharon T
0 Kudos
GPatc
Beginner

Hi Sharon,

There was a small mistake in identifying the card manufacturer. Turns out the card is of Intel one only not of supermicro.

The card in possession is of XL710-QDA2 (https://www.thinkmate.com/product/intel/xl710qda2blk Intel® 10/40-Gigabit Ethernet Converged Network Adapter XL710-QDA2 (2x QSFP+) ).

Now what to do for the firmware update?

Thanks

Ganesh.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Pganesh,

Thank you for the information. Based on the part number in the serial number : H29452-005, this is not the part number for Intel retail network adapter for XL710-QDA2 at https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005612/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html

Firmware version 4.16 is not on our firmware version table listed in the XL710 ethernet controller feature matrix at https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/release-notes/xl710-ethernet-controller-feature-matrix.pdf (Please refer to the table in page 7)

I need to double check, will update you if there is any information to share.

Regards,

Sharon T

0 Kudos
GPatc
Beginner

Hi Sharon,

I've got the picture of the NIC card which I'm attaching (pretty similar to XL710-QDA2 NIC I've posted earlier), and I'm also getting the purchase vendor details of the card from my IT dept. I'll share you more details when I get them.

0 Kudos
CMora8
New Contributor I

hi pganesh,

Do you have a picture of the backside labels available?

If it doesn't have a yotta mark, it could be OEM. OEM NICs can't be updated with the retail tools, you need a special firmware from the OEM.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/000007074.html http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/000007074.html

0 Kudos
A_L_Intel
Employee

Based on the part number H29452-005 this is a sample adapter that was available before the official launch of the product. The NVM Update Tool only updates production adapters, and your adapter predates the earliest production versions. Due to significant changes to the controller silicon during this product's life cycle, I expect that attempting to load modern firmware would indeed break your board.

GPatc
Beginner

Hi ,

So do these cards have any official software support now and can it's firmware be still updated? I mean what's the way forward? or Can we get these cards replaced with production adapters (where NVM Update tool officially supports the NIC's) if possible?

Thanks

Ganesh

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Pganesh,

The card you have do not have official software support, please get in touch with your point of purchase to get a production Intel retail network adapter for the firmware update.

Thanks,

Sharon T

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Pganesh,

Please feel free to update me if further assistance needed.

Regards,

Sharon T
0 Kudos