Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20623 Discussions

Intel Driver & Support Assistant, please explain

MR11
Novice

Microsoft Windows 10 Professional (x64) Build 15063.994 (1703/RS2)

Intel HD Graphics 530 (Skylake-S GT2) - Integrated Graphics Controller [S0/R0] [ASRock]

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6500 CPU @ 3.20GHz

The Intel Driver & Support Assistant:

1. Doesn't work in Firefox. This has never been addressed.

2. Using Internet Explorer, it says "One Software update available, but it doesn't give any information about what it is (menu down arrow does nothing, shows nothing)

3. The "download" button is actually an "install button.

4. Therefore, I am given no information about the driver, no choice to download instead of install, and no indication of what was installed. The only way to discover this information was the "Find your Intel component number before you contact us" link on a the 'Contact Support" page. Why isn't that link on the download page?

5. After installation, I discovered that the graphics driver listed in the "Find your Intel component number" was the same as the driver version already installed. (by Windows update). I went back and ran the scan again, and it still says there is one software update available.

The driver version number is 23.20.16.4973, which, BTW, is nowhere to be found on the Intel website, The only place I could get it was the Microsoft Update Catalog.

But there is a later version, 15.65.5.4982 (Latest) Date 3-27-2018, on the Intel website, that was not offered for downoad/instalation.

Does it really have to be this confusing?

Message was edited by: M R

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello, oromine. Thank you very much for sharing your issue with the Intel Communities Team.

For me to assist you better, I would like to know, what is the version of the Intel® Driver & Support Assistant you are using? Additionally, can you please provide me with the log files of the software? Please find the files on C:\ProgramData\Intel\DSA. To attach a file, you must click the "Attach" option on the bottom right-hand corner of the response box.

Antony S.
0 Kudos
MR11
Novice

Hi Antony,

Intel Driver and Support Assistant Installer 3.2.0.9

I don't currently have the Intel Driver & Support Assistant installed, after implementing a Macrium image restore, Thus, no log files, and I'd prefer not to reinstall it since it's appears to be useless for my purposes.

I like to manually "download" my drivers locally and install them at my convenience, without having to install additional software, keeping my system as clean and uncluttered as possible.

Why is there no portable version of Intel Driver & Support Assistant?

The problem with Firefox has been well documented and unsolved, as far as I can see, for years,

But that's not a major concern for me, since apparently the Intel Driver & Support Assistant works as designed in Internet Explorer. Bottom line, IMO, it just doesn't do a very good job.

Maybe, instead of us focusing on the flaws of the Intel Driver & Support Assistant, you can advise me where I can get a confirmation of the proper driver version for my system, where to find it, and a method I can easily count on to do it in the future.

Thanks

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you very much for your reply, oromine.

In this case, for you to verify the latest drivers for your system, please go to the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/ Intel® Download Center. On the search bar type the model of your processor and then filter the search depending on your OS version. In order to install the update, you can either run the .exe file or the .zip file. Besides the Intel® Driver & Support Assitant, we do not have any other software for you to receive this type of notifications.

Antony S.
0 Kudos
MR11
Novice

ok, but why can't I find the version that is currently on this machine on the intel website? qand why doesnt the support assistant install the latest driver on the website?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you for your response, oromine.

Allow me to share with you that the Intel® Download Center does not recognize which graphics version you are currently having on your system. You can double check this information by running the DxDiag* command or on Device manager. Furthermore, the reason of why the Intel® Driver & Support Assistant was not installing the latest drivers could be a bug or an error on the software, that was why I requested previously the log files of the software.

Antony S.
0 Kudos