Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20603 Discussions

Intel HD Graphics 4400 crashing even with the latest driver 15.36.14.4080 when opening Photoshop

AChan80
Beginner

I'm facing a widely reported age old driver crash issue for Intel HD Graphics 4400 in my new Dell Inspiron 5537 laptop.

When I open Photoshop CC 2014 (latest build) - GPUSniffer try to calculate the CLBandwidth of Intel HD 4400 graphics card and the program hangs. Intel HD driver crashes and system message pops up with "Display driver stopped responding and recovered" (disabling Open GL and Graphics Processor in Photoshop). Interesting point is, if I restart my laptop - it all runs well; but after a shut down same situation reappears.

Most Importantly I'm using latest driver from Intel (Version 10.18.14.4080 aka 15.36.14.4080 - dated 05-01-2015).

Is there anyway to get rid of this??

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Hello ArnabChandra,

I am sorry you are having this problem. We are helping customers at this link:

/thread/56471 https://communities.intel.com/thread/56471

Please post your question there to get more information.

Kevin M

0 Kudos
ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

Hi Arnab

Does the issue occur with the latest graphics driver provided by Dell? Dell does extensive customizations to the generic Intel HD Graphics driver specific to their systems. I would strongly recommend only using the Dell provided drivers here: http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/inspiron-15r-5537/drivers Product Support | Dell US

Thanks

Robert

AChan80
Beginner

Hi Robert,

Thank you for your quick response. But I believe your recommendation does not suits my problem. Please note:

First, I'm facing this problem from the beginning, i.e. with default Dell drivers installed on my machine. The first thing I did to overcome this - was the obvious option - updating all the drivers to its latest version - but that didn't helped me. I don't have any evidence (report or screenshot saved) for this issue with default drivers. But surely I'm unwilling to uninstall all the graphics drivers and replace them with an old version just to generate reports. The graphics card and latest driver both are capable to run Photoshop in its full capability, after restarting the machine. So, it's a bug and I need a fix.

Second, very important point is - this is not a Dell issue or an issue with my hardware configuration. This exact same problem was faced by many body from long back with multiple OEM.

It's clearly an issue with Intel 4400 HD graphics driver. Check this thread: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1347041 Video driver crash, gpu sniffer hogs cpu on sur... | Adobe Community

Even if I assume Dell fixed this issue with it's customized version - why the fix will not be implemented in generic Intel driver??

Thanks and regards,

Arnab Chandra

0 Kudos
UUSRD
Novice

In my case it is even worse the system freezes if I launch Photoshop CC 2014 after successive sleep/wake cycles. Changing the switchable graphics settings to use the NVIDIA GPU instead seems to fix the problem. I am also using the latest driver.

0 Kudos