Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7437 Discussions

2 Questions ....... Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter and Intel's "My WiFi Dashboard" .....

RCroc3
Beginner

Greetings,

Ice storm slowly melting here .............

First, Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter .......

My computer "warned" me, after an HP update a few days ago, that the Microsoft Adapter was not connected .............. in a sense I don't know if it ever was. In Device Manager, there are 2 devices with the same name (which will be called MWFDVA to save me typing time). One was deleted in October of 2014 and the other, designated by the computer as MWFDVA # 2 was apparently installed in December of 2014. Under its Properties, it said it is "Disconnected" ...... have no idea when that occurred. I do know that the software for my Bluetooth (Intel's software ........ there seems to be some generic bluetooth software/drivers from Microsoft dating from 2006 that seem to active also) has been completed updated (software and drivers) at least once in the last several months. The Properties window says I should "reconnect" to use the adapter. Apparently it is enabled but not "connected". I have no idea how to do that. I also wonder if it was purposely "disconnected: by Intel or HP tpo prevent interference with the Intel Wireless - AC 7265 ????

Any thoughts ?

Secondly, might anyone know if the Intel "My WiFi Dashboard" is compatible with the AC 7265 ? It is, per the listings compatible with the 7260.

Thanks .... here's looking to spring

Rick Crocker

0 Kudos
1 Solution
jbenavides
Honored Contributor II

Hello Rrecroc,

Here is some information that may help you clarify your inquiries.

- The Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter is installed by Windows* in order to support the use of Wi-Fi Direct. Starting on Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012, Wi-Fi Direct functions were added to the Native Wifi API.

This is a Microsoft Windows feature, and if the issues with the Virtual Adapters started after an HP update, it would be good to get some input from HP or Microsoft support about this matter.

- The Intel® Dual Band Wireless-N 7265 requires a driver for WiFi and another one for Bluetooth, if you consider that the drivers may be outdated or not working correctly, we advise you to contact the PC manufacturer(HP) to obtain and install the most recent driver available for your Wireless adapter. Remember that as best practice you should update the Bluetooth driver as well as the Wi-Fi driver to keep both at the same level.

You can find drivers and support information from HP in the following link: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/drivers.html http://www8.hp.com/us/en/drivers.html

As second option, you can use the generic drivers available at https://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProdId=3828 Intel® Download Center.

- Intel drivers or devices are not capable of disabling the Virtual Adapter or other related drivers, this task should be handled by the Operating System or the device itself. Also, keep in mind that your system may be reporting devices that were detected by your system before, but are no longer connected.

- About the Intel® My WiFi Dashboard Software compatibility, please consider that the last update for this software was in March, 2013, almost two years before the release of the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-N 7265. The application was not tested nor certified to operate with your wireless adapter, even though it might work, we cannot guarantee that it will do so. Furthermore, most of the functions that were available with Intel® My WiFi Dashboard Software are now natively supported in Windows 8 and Windows 8.1.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
jbenavides
Honored Contributor II

Hello Rrecroc,

Here is some information that may help you clarify your inquiries.

- The Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter is installed by Windows* in order to support the use of Wi-Fi Direct. Starting on Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012, Wi-Fi Direct functions were added to the Native Wifi API.

This is a Microsoft Windows feature, and if the issues with the Virtual Adapters started after an HP update, it would be good to get some input from HP or Microsoft support about this matter.

- The Intel® Dual Band Wireless-N 7265 requires a driver for WiFi and another one for Bluetooth, if you consider that the drivers may be outdated or not working correctly, we advise you to contact the PC manufacturer(HP) to obtain and install the most recent driver available for your Wireless adapter. Remember that as best practice you should update the Bluetooth driver as well as the Wi-Fi driver to keep both at the same level.

You can find drivers and support information from HP in the following link: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/drivers.html http://www8.hp.com/us/en/drivers.html

As second option, you can use the generic drivers available at https://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProdId=3828 Intel® Download Center.

- Intel drivers or devices are not capable of disabling the Virtual Adapter or other related drivers, this task should be handled by the Operating System or the device itself. Also, keep in mind that your system may be reporting devices that were detected by your system before, but are no longer connected.

- About the Intel® My WiFi Dashboard Software compatibility, please consider that the last update for this software was in March, 2013, almost two years before the release of the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-N 7265. The application was not tested nor certified to operate with your wireless adapter, even though it might work, we cannot guarantee that it will do so. Furthermore, most of the functions that were available with Intel® My WiFi Dashboard Software are now natively supported in Windows 8 and Windows 8.1.

0 Kudos
RCroc3
Beginner

Hello,

Thank you for your timely response Jonathan. It is just enough information but not too much. I learned much and thanks for the links. I am grateful Intel has someone like you to help us "lost" types. I already had a question about one of the downloads from HP, so I will bring up the Microsoft Wi=Fi Direct problem at the same thime. They now have remote access so they can do the work for you ...... much faster for everyone.

Once again, thank you. I have marked the question as answered.

Have a restful evening.

Rick Crocker

0 Kudos
jbenavides
Honored Contributor II

Thank you for the feedback. I am glad to know the information was what you required, and we hope this is useful for other users as well.

0 Kudos