Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2045 Discussions

Intel Rapid Storage Technology problems and DVD disappearing

RJone8
Beginner

Sorry if this is a repost.

Thought I posted it but nothing showed up.

Sorry if Its delayed but I must have missed that little bit in the TOC if it said that new posts are delayed.

Windows 7 Home Premium, 64 bit

Gateway Laptop NV55C (I would upgrade ut currently not working so a major hardware upgrade is gonna have to wait

I've got the latest SATA AHCI Driver for my system according to Gateway.

As for the latest Intel RST software/drivers, I have version 9.6.2.1001 on the IAStorDataMgrSvc.exe file, which is the same version as the SATA drivers I found on the Gateway site.

Lately, the last few weeks, I have been having problem with my DVD drive disappearing.

In the Intel RST app, its shows my HD on Internal Port 0; and Internal Port 1 as empty.

I've only just checked this status after my DVD disappeared.

I'm guessing that my DVD is on Port 1 because I get a dialog popping up saying something about Port 1 being removed. Then my DVD drive is gone.

If I reboot, it comes back.

And it may stay for 5 minutes or 5 days (or more), then the DVD just disappears with the Intel RST popup.

It lasted 1 hour 12 minutes this time.

Last time, it lasted about 5 minutes.

I may not be doing anything particular, youtube, working (EagleCad and other Circuit board and schematic design software, and related utilities), general web browsing. Nothing special and nothing I haven't been doing for years.

I do Windows updates on a fairly regular basis (At least once every 2 week if not once a week)

This does kind of have me wondering if a recent Windows update broke something.

It would not be the first time I have seen that happen.

And as a side note, although its been 7+ years, I used to work in IT repairing pretty much everything, so I'm comfortable getting waist deep into the guts of anything computer related if need be.

System Report

System Information

OS name: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium

OS version: 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 7601

System name: ROB-PC

System manufacturer: Gateway

System model: NV55C

Processor: GenuineIntel Intel64 Family 6 Model 37 Stepping 5 1.999 GHz

BIOS: InsydeH2O Version V1.05, ACRSYS - 1

Intel® Rapid Storage Technology

Kit installed: 9.6.2.1001

User interface version: 9.6.2.1001<...

0 Kudos
5 Replies
ryoun5
Beginner

Did you get an answer to this problem yet? I'm experiencing the exact situation. If I see the error in time I can answer No to allowing the system change and keep the DVD. If it pops up when I'm not at the computer, it's gone for good. I've restored to an earlier point and that's hit or miss if the DVD will appear. Very perplexing. Regards, Russell.

0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

It sounds like the ODD upper and lower filters from the registry. Please try the steps very carefully on the following link:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929461 https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929461

Kevin M

ryoun5
Beginner

Hey Kevin,

Thanks for responding!

Yes, I already deleted the upper filter and restarted. This was yesterday and DVD did not appear. Then I restored LKGC and DVD did not appear either.

But today In the late morning when I checked-there Was DVD!? I ripped a cd to I Tunes successfully. So I have use of DVD. For How long? And like the first post and as shown, Intel Rapid Storage may pop up, if I can click it before it vanishes, I Can command the Registry not make the change and keep use of the DVD until the next random pop-up. Or check and DVD gone again. Empty Port 1.

Regards,

Russell

0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Hello rhyoungjr,

Our drivers are generic for OEM systems so if our driver is not working for your computer the best step is to contact your Computer Manufacture and request the driver from their side.

I noticed your system is running with very old software so you can try updating it. Make sure you save the information before starting with this process.

This version should work for your system:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24779/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-RAID-Driver https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24779/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-RAID-Driver

0 Kudos
RJone8
Beginner

What I did do end up doing, was take my laptop apart (probably overdue considering the area I live in is very dusty),

unplugged all the connectors and plugged them back in and I haven't had a problem since.

I used to work in IT have have solved a few hard drive issues by doing that before.

Best of luck to you