Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7428 Discussions

Intel AC 7260 in Asus G73SW + Win10 - No-Go

AStev3
Beginner

As in thread title.

This laptop originally shipped with some Atheros ABGN 2.4 Ghz only card which works just fine but it's quite slow by todays standards. So I googled and found the Intel 7260 Dual-Band AC card and acquired one.

I was expecting it to be a simple plug-n-play operation but that has not been the case.

After installing this Wi-Fi adapter in my laptop, I found that it shows in device manager with an excl mark next to it. It says "The device cannot start (Code 10)."

The event log is showing

Device PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_08B2&SUBSYS_42708086&REV_63\0C8BFDFFFF07EB6700 had a problem starting.

Driver Name: oem56.inf

Class Guid: {4d36e972-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}

Service: NETwNb64

Lower Filters:

Upper Filters: vwifibus

Problem: 0xA

Problem Status: 0xC0000001

and

Device PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_08B2&SUBSYS_42708086&REV_63\0C8BFDFFFF07EB6700 had a problem starting.

Driver Name: netwbw02.inf

Class Guid: {4d36e972-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}

Service: NETwNb64

Lower Filters:

Upper Filters: vwifibus

Problem: 0xA

Problem Status: 0xC0000001

I presume the second one is for Bluetooth.

I have attached the device manager screenshot as well.

Where to from here?

Here is what I've tried so far:

- Install the driver through windows update (no go)

- Install the latest driver from the Intel Website, then fully uninstall it with "Discard", run disk cleanup, install again, reboot - no go. /thread/114753 [per the steps in this thread]

- Uninstall the driver thru device manager (Right Click > Uninstall > Delete Drivers) then install the latest driver package from intel website - no go.

- Ensured the BIOS of the laptop is the latest version.

- Reinstalled Win 10 and first thing I installed was the Intel Driver - still no go. Device cannot start, code 10.

I was beginning to think the card was faulty until I booted up Ubuntu 18.04 Live on my machine - the wi-fi works great out of the box so obviously this is some sort of Windows driver problem.

Any insight appreciated.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AlHill
Super User
0 Kudos
AStev3
Beginner

Hey there Al,

Thanks for that - much appreciated. I don't think either of those articles apply though? If this was a regulatory or compatibility issue then the card wouldn't work in Linux either?

I am looking for some guidance on how to troubleshoot this and get it running on Windows (it already works on Linux when I live-boot an Ubuntu CD).

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello breakaway_is_the_name,

Thank you for joining the Intel Communities.

The Code 10 issue you are getting might be related to compatibility problem. Even though it works fine on Ubuntu* 18.04 Live there is a chance it may not work on Windows 10*. According to ASUS's website the specific laptop model you have supports Windows 7* and Windows 8.1*.

We recommend contacting the Acer about support for Intel Wireless Adapter upgrades. Laptop manufacturers must meet regulatory requirements to determine if you can install the Intel Wireless Adapter in your system. This link will give you their contact information https://www.asus.com/support/ https://www.asus.com/support/

Regards,

Fred D.