Items with no label
3335 Discussions

How to change d435's focal length

ZLiu20
Beginner

I'm trying to use d435 to build a barcode scanner. However, the FOV is too big to detect things close to the camera. I suppose it is focal length's reason. How can I change it when launching the camera? Btw, I'm working on ROS.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

The recommended approach would be to use a function called Disparity Shift to reduce the minimum distance, or MinZ, of the camera so it can better analyze objects at very close range.

If you go to the first link listed in the page below, pages 15 and 16 of the camera tuning guide at this link describe how Disparity Shift affects the camera's vision over distance.

Alternatively, just reducing depth resolution will also reduce MinZ.

The post below on depth scale may also be of use.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

The recommended approach would be to use a function called Disparity Shift to reduce the minimum distance, or MinZ, of the camera so it can better analyze objects at very close range.

If you go to the first link listed in the page below, pages 15 and 16 of the camera tuning guide at this link describe how Disparity Shift affects the camera's vision over distance.

Alternatively, just reducing depth resolution will also reduce MinZ.

The post below on depth scale may also be of use.

0 Kudos
ZLiu20
Beginner

Cuz I want to use the RGB image. the Minz have the effect on it?

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

MinZ and MaxZ primarily affect depth analysis.

If you need to focus the camera's attention on a certain area of the image instead of everything in the FOV, defining a Region of Interest (where the camera averages the intensity of the pixels in a defined area) may be worth investigating. Page 10 of the tuning guide talks about it.

0 Kudos