Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20499 Discussions

3 displays quit working

AWehr1
Beginner

I have not been able to use 3 displays every since the new driver came out on 12/11/2017. I used to be able to roll back the driver to use all 3 displays but now I cannot.

I have 2 displayports and 1 VGA port on my desktop computer. I want to be able to extend to all three, just like I used to be able to do. Two are monitors and one is a projector. I could hook the projector to the computer via HDMI, but there is not an HDMI port on my computer.

I've attached the detailed reports about my system here. I have a Dell desktop i7 with Intel Graphic 4000 card.

Can someone please help?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello ann.wehrman,

Thank you for joining this Intel Community.

I understand that your 3-Display setup stopped working after installing the latest graphics driver for Intel® HD Graphics 4000. I would like to assist you.

Because this issue occurred after installing a newer version of the graphics driver, you can try performing a clean install in case older graphics drivers are causing system conflicts. In this case, it is recommended to install the latest graphics driver provided by your system manufacturer first.

You can follow these steps:

1.Disconnect your unit from the internet.

2.Uninstall both the Intel Graphics driver and the Intel Display audio driver. To do this, please follow the steps on the link below under these sections:

-Uninstalling the Intel Graphics Driver via the Device Manager Method.

-Uninstalling the Intel® Display Audio Driver or the Intel® HDMI Audio Driver via the Device Manager Method.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005598/graphics-drivers.html

3.Restart your computer. Go to the device manager and check if Windows installed another version of the graphics driver. If it does, please remove it and restart your computer one more time. Repeat the process until you get the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter.

4.Once you do, please proceed with the clean install of the latest graphics driver version. According to your system manufacturer's support website, this is the latest graphics driver available for your system:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/optiplex-7010/drivers

5.Once the latest driver has been installed, you may enable the internet connection again.

It is worth mentionting that our recommendation is that you can connect your monitors using a straight through connection with a single cable.

Wanner G.
0 Kudos
AWehr1
Beginner

Thanks! I will try all of this. If I connect both monitors and the projector using a straight through connection with a single cable, can I have different resolutions set on each? Can I then extend to all three? I don't want any to be a clone.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello ann.wehrman,

Thank you for your response.

Yes, you can have different resolutions when enabling Extended Mode. In fact, the displays can support different resolutions, color depth, and refresh rates.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005599/graphics-drivers.html

Wanner G.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello ann.wehrman,

I hope you found the information provided helpful.

If you still need any assistance, we will be glad to help you.

Wanner G.
0 Kudos
AWehr1
Beginner

It did not work. We tried the process twice on two different days. The monitors are directly connected to the desktop computer. There are no splitters or extenders. I was able to roll back to an older driver, but as soon as Windows updates to the newest driver, I can only use 2 monitors.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello ann.wehrman,

Thank you for your reply.

You can also verify if the Intel® HD Graphics Control Panel is detecting the displays. You can check this by going into Display > Multiple displays. If one of them is not detected, then you can try connecting another TV/monitor for testing purposes. It is worth noting that the graphics controller, Intel® HD Graphics 4000, and the display configuration you are using are supported for three displays.

Also, I noticed that the BIOS version in your system is A16.00. There is a newer version, A29, that may help you address this issue, but you need to contact the system manufacturer (DELL*) to see if they recommend a BIOS update.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello ann.wehrman,

Were you able to try another TV/monitor?

We will be glad to assist you if you still need any help.

Wanner G.
0 Kudos
AWehr1
Beginner

The same thing is happening on all the teacher computers. Mine is still working with the older driver, so it is not a hardware problem. When Windows updates the driver, I can only use 2 monitors. When I use the old driver, all 3 montiros work perfectly.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello ann.wehrman,

Unfortunately, we cannot advise you to disable the Windows* automatic update feature. You need to contact Microsoft* or DELL* to get more information about this.

Now, I am still wondering if the Intel® HD Graphics Control Panel is detecting the three displays. Remember that you can also verify this in Device Manager by following this path: Ctrl + X > Device Manager > Monitors. If the three monitors are detected when using newer drivers, but you are still unable to use the Extended Mode, then this is probably happening because of a feature that the system manufacturer disabled.

I would also advise you to try connecting one display at the time to find out if they are detected when the new driver is installed.

Besides, check if there is a driver that the projector may need to work properly in this setup.

Wanner G.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello ann.wehrman,

Were you able to try the troubleshooting steps provided?

If you still need help, we will be glad to assist you.

Wanner G.
0 Kudos