Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14536 Discussions

Wrong data from thermal sensor i7-7700K?

ALamb3
Novice

Hello.

I found that my i7-7700K under 100% load shows 90-100 C degrees, but in reality CPU cooler is warm, not hot at all.

Yes, of course I tried re-mount CPU cooler, reassemble it's mounting part on motherboard, reapply thermal paste - nothing changed, cooler was little warm, not hot.

I came to shop, where I bought PC and we made following tests:

• My motherboard (Gigabyte H270 Gaming 3) + my Intel i7-7700K + my CPU cooler Thermalright True Spirit 140 Direct
  • My motherboard (Gigabyte H270 Gaming 3) + my Intel i7-7700K + another CPU cooler Thermalright True Spirit 140 Direct
  • My motherboard (Gigabyte H270 Gaming 3) + another CPU i7-7700K + another CPU cooler Thermalright True Spirit 140 Direct
  • My motherboard (Gigabyte H270 Gaming 3) + another CPU i7-7700K + CPU cooler Thermalright Arrow Silver
  • Another motherboard, also Gigabyte H270 Gaming 3 + another CPU i7-7700K + CPU cooler Thermalright Arrow Silver
  • Gigabyte Z270X Ultra Gaming + another CPU i7-7700K + CPU cooler Thermalright Arrow Silver
  • Motherboard Asus Z270F ROG Strix + another CPU i7-7700K + another CPU cooler Thermalright True Spirit 140 Direct

In total we tested 4 motherboards, 3 CPUs i7-7700K, 3 coolers. In all cases we run Prime 95 Small FFT test to heat up CPU to 90-100 degrees (yes, throttling was enabled at 100 C). We left test running for 5 minutes in each case. Then tested real temperature by finger.

In all cases cooler temperature was little bit warm, not hot at all. It makes me think that probably CPU reports wrong thermal data.

One more weird thing about i7-7700K is that temperature from idle 40 jumps to 90-100 degrees in just 2 seconds. The same, when I close Prime95, temperature decreases from 90-100 to 40 degrees in 2-3 seconds. I'm not sure - may be this is normal behavior, but looks too fast.

Temperatures were measured using the latest version of HW monitor. "Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool" for all CPUs reported that they are OK.

Intel, could you please comment on this? Is there any issue with thermal sensors of i7-7700K?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello AlexeyL,

Thank you for contacting Intel Communities.

Intel is aware of this and it is being addressed in the thread below:

/thread/110728 Thermal sensor issue i7-7700k?

I would appreciate if you report the issue in this thread.

Once we have additional information, it will be posted there.

Best Regards,

Juan Carlos
0 Kudos
RRies
Novice

hello Juan Carlos, please have someone post a status update on this Thermal Sensor issue. Previously Alberto stated the same, we will let you know, but there has not been any updates??? There are many posts asking for updates and either RMAs or returns!

idata
Employee

Hello TOYOTARICK,

At this moment this is under review.

There isn't an estimated time when further information would be available.

My recommendation is to keep updated in the /thread/110728 main thread.

Regards,

Juan Carlos
0 Kudos
ALamb3
Novice

Hello Juan Carlos.

OK, I will copy my message there. Actually this issue is not related to temperature spikings, but more related to thermal sensors or bad quality TIM inside CPU, but anyway, I will do as you suggested.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello AlexeyL,

Thank you for your collaboration, I appreciate you take the time in posting in the original thread.

I understand the issue is not related to temperature spikings per the description you provided.

Hopefully there will be an update any time soon.

Regards,

Juan Carlos
0 Kudos
TGrab1
New Contributor III

Hi AlexeyL,

Just out of curiosity have you tried running something like HWinfo to see what your Vcore is during the tests?

I ask because some Gigabyte motherboards apply overly high voltage to the CPU when on auto. Most of these boards can be fixed by updating to the newest bios.

I just wanted to see if this was even on your radar of something to consider. If you have the time just run a quick p95 with HWinfo running and let me know what your Vcore value is. For a stock CPU for example this would generally be in the 1.20-1.24 range. The temps you are seeing make me suspect you might have one of the old 1.30+ values which will make a CPU heat up pretty quick.

Worst case scenario I am incorrect and you waste a few minutes of your time, but if I am correct we can have a solution to your problem pretty much immediately.

Thanks,

Thomas