Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20602 Discussions

Maximum Performance Power Plan

MJone10
New Contributor I

Hi,

Under advanced power settings, there is an option to change the graphics power plan setting to "maximum performance". I am using a desktop pc.

I would like to know if maximum performance causes the gpu to run at full speed all the time? For example, does it continually use the maximum amount of power regardless of load, such as when at idle?

Thanks

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello MartyJones ,

Thank you for contacting the Intel community.

Are you talking about the power plan from Windows? If so, this is the difference.

Balanced: Balanced automatically increases your CPU's speed when your computer needs it, and reduces it when it isn't necessary. This is the default setting, and it should be fine most of the time.

Power Saver: Power Saver attempts to save power by reducing the CPU's speed all the time and lowering screen brightness, among other similar settings.

High Performance: High Performance mode doesn't lower your CPU's speed when it isn't being used, running it at higher speeds most of the time. It also increases screen brightness. Other components, such as your Wi-Fi or disk drive, may also not go into power-saving modes.

Please let me know.

Best regards,

Ivan.

0 Kudos
MJone10
New Contributor I

Hi Ivan,

This is the power plan i meant. It has option for maximum battery life, balanced, maximum performance.

I would like to know if maximum performance causes the gpu to run at full speed all the time? For example, does it continually use the maximum amount of power regardless of load, such as when at idle?

I tested this with gpu-z putting the intel graphics power plan into balanced and maximum performance and seeing the result on power usage, but there was no difference. Gpu-z reported the GPU power as being 0.0w when idle regardless of power plan. I just wanted to confirm whether this was correct or not?

Thanks

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks you for the information, in this case if you set the graphics plan to maximum performance it will be working at that performance while you are using the system to work with any application or similar but if your system is idling like in sleep mode or hibernation the performance goes down to save power and to save battery life of your system; however, this also depends on how your system manufacturer built your computer, they can add or remove features on your computer and also on your computer BIOS and it may not work like this, so your best contact support to check on this power plans is with your system manufacturer.

Best regards,

Ivan.

0 Kudos
MJone10
New Contributor I
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

You are more than welcome!

Ivan.
0 Kudos