Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14503 Discussions

Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool (4.0.0.29) Brand String fails on Intel(R) Core(TM)2 DUO products (e.g. T7600 / SL9SD / LF80537GF0534M)

GWoro1
Beginner

I know that this is an old legacy Core processor but, in the previous version 3.0.0.25, this test passes. If I modify the "CoreStringParts" setting in the "BrandString_LocalConfig.xml" file from: "Intel(R)|Core(TM)|CPU|@" to: "Intel(R)|Core(TM)2|CPU|@" ... it passes. I suspect that either the "BrandString.exe" program in version 4.0.0.29 doesn't parse out the "2" correctly concerning Core2 products or the "BrandString_LocalConfig.xml" file doesn't include an additional "Core2StringParts" category or possibly some combination of both and therefore version 4.0.0.29 causes Brand String test failures on Core2 products.

As an additional note, I'm also getting an "SPBC" fail indicating that this is a "Sample" product as did the previous 3.0.0.25 version. However, when I run various versions including the current version of the Intel Processor Identification Utility (5.60.20161208), I get no notification/indication that this processor is an engineering sample. In addition, the processor markings on the processor indicate that it is a production processor not an engineering sample as per the current Intel Processor Core 2 DUO spec. Could the SPBC program be effected by not having visibility to Core2 products?

As a final note, as I've acknowledged the T7600 is an old legacy processor, but this tool runs and passes everything just fine on an even older "Intel(R) Pentium(R) M Processor 760" -- SPBC passes & Brand String passes.

Suggestions anyone?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello AKfroggy,

Thank you for contacting Intel Communities.

Can you please provide the OS you are using as well as a picture showing the IHS of the processor (where the http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/processors/000005609.html markings are located)?

The information above is important to determine if you have an engineering sample or a genuine processor.

Regards,

Juan Carlos
0 Kudos
NCard3
Beginner

I have exactly the same problem with these tests.

My processor is a Core 2 Extreme

I would like to know if these two tests are decisive, to ensure that my processor has a technical failure that does not ensure its correct operation ...?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello ncardenas,

The thread states two issues, can you please provide more information about the one you are facing?

If you have the exact same issue (both issues) can you please provide a picture of your CPU showing the IHS?

I hope to hear from you soon.

Regards,

Juan Carlos
0 Kudos
NCard3
Beginner

Hello

Then attached image of my processor ...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello ncardenas,

Thank you for the information.

In this case, the behavior that you are describing could be caused for one of the following reasons:
  • The processor is a legacy product (manufactured in 2007) and the new version of the tool doesn't have information for this processor anymore.
  • The processor is a remarked processor (the markings have been altered to show different information and it won't match with the actual processor).
Best Regards,

JC
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi ncardenas,

Do you still need assistance with the Intel® processor? I was reviewing this case and this is important to us.

Allan.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi AKfroggy,

I was reviewing this thread and I wanted to know if you need further assistance.

If so, please don't hesitate in replying to this post.

Regards,

Juan Carlos
0 Kudos